What Should a Ranger Carry?

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Ernildir
Haeropada

What Should a Ranger Carry?

Post by Ernildir »

Over the last couple years I have focused on developing the authenticity of my kit's attire, and have just recently reached the point at which I have a full outfit of handstitched natural garb. I am now looking to flesh out the equipment aspect of my kit, since I really don't carry much more than a rolled up canvas shelter, my weapons, a fire kit, a sewing kit, and a sharpening kit. Which obviously is not enough to survive in the wild. I'd probably starve, for one thing, with no food supplies. :mrgreen:

Could you all please offer your suggestions as to what I might want to add to my kit in the future? What are your visions of the Ranger's essential kit items? And what are some other nonessential things that are just nice to have? ;)

Thanks.
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Andy*
Wayfarer

Re: What Should a Ranger Carry?

Post by Andy* »

When out and about in the woodline for a extended stay...in addition to what you have mentioned I would suggest some sort of "waterproofng" for your leather...I use a mix of beeswax and beargrease.....also a first aid kit might be handy.
Andy
Follow me I am the Infantry.
man_of_tanith
Dúnadan

Post by man_of_tanith »

Essentials-
cook pot of some kind
drinking vessel
water bottle
water filter
spoon
food bag-oats, flour, hard cheese, dried meat, dried fruit, cram, lembas bread. salt, pepper, bannock mix
tea/coffee and sugar
compass
ouch pouch-suited for dealing with blisters, small cuts, nicks and grazes
pocket knife/small utility knife you dont want to be using big sword for prepping food etc
night light candle

nice to have
differing sizes of cooking pot
frying pan
herbs, seasoning's, bouillon cubes, chilli sauce etc
fresh meat, fresh veg
snares pre made
fishing kit
hip flask
pipe and pipeweed
more comprehensive first aid kit
cande lantern
Only the Wilderness is Pure Truth
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

i think that covers most of it. I would add a deck of cards of some dice to help pass camp time. A sling is a really good item to have because you can practice with it and and maybe get some small game for fresh meat and it doesn't add much weight. another thing i would add non period but can be put in a pouch is the small sas survival guide, good reading and some great life saving information.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
man_of_tanith
Dúnadan

Post by man_of_tanith »

Forgot to add to my list
Essential
Bug repellant, you can get assorted traditional types which dissuade little biting evil things who even if not carrying unpleasent ailments can still spoil the experience with their bites
rangers go off the beaten track and may need to lurk in some unpleasent areas, this would defiantely be considered precious cargo
Only the Wilderness is Pure Truth
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

The most important piece of gear any woodsman should carry is the one which lies right between his ears!

A practical knowledge of natural resources will allow you to make do with less gear (=a lighter) load): i.e. medicinal plants (insect repellants, anti-itches, skin salves, pain relievers, saponins, &c.), wild edibles/smokeables, cordage materials...

I suggest carrying multiple-use items over several single-use ones--for example, a large tin cup can be used for boiling water (lending itself to tea-brewing &c.) as well as for drinking... Although I know many longhunters who carry a 'corn-boiler' as part of their kit as well as a tin cup.

As for entertainment: Dice are light, take up next-to-no space, and have historical precedence in a period many draw upon for M-E inspiration (Norse folk loved dice games). Since playing cards have been mentioned, has anyone ever seen Hobbit-style playing cards? That would be very neat.
I've never been one for games but I do carry a small booklet I printed and bound, which contains a selection of both M-E and appropriate Primary World poetry (though I'm sure a ranger would have tons of elvish verses--Lay of Lethian &c--memorized).

And I second a tin of 'waterproofing'--I use a blend of pinepitch and mink oil, though tallow (with or without beeswax) does just fine.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Beornmann
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Beornmann »

Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I'd say highest priority right now = boiler/cookpot.

A corn boiler will serve you well for just about any meal you could need, short of something needing to be fried.

As for a frying pan, I'm still in the market for something that I feels fits the bill. Sam's frying pans were small, lightweight, made of (obviously) period materials, and the handles folded up, allowing one to fit into the other. I don't need two pans, but I feel like I should find a historically appropriate one that fits into the 18th century at minimum with a folding handle before I pick one up.

Food for thought. No pun intended.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
robinhoodsghost

Post by robinhoodsghost »

When me and my brothers went treking into the woods, as kids, some of the things we would bring along were....A good canteen, medicines, toothbrushes, extra eye glasses, extra Clothing, hunting equipment, fishing equipment, axe or hatchet, knife and a sharpening stone, backpack - waterproof, compass, soap for laundry and bathing, natural insect repellent, a mirror, extra toilet paper, basic sewing kit (needles and threads), tarp and rope.

Seems like you have a great start already.

RHG
Last edited by robinhoodsghost on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the darkest part of Sherwoods glade, in the thickest part of the wood, there are those who say, can still be seen, the ghost of Robin Hood.
Chris Russo

Post by Chris Russo »

Greg wrote:As for a frying pan, I'm still in the market for something that I feels fits the bill. Sam's frying pans were small, lightweight, made of (obviously) period materials, and the handles folded up, allowing one to fit into the other. I don't need two pans, but I feel like I should find a historically appropriate one that fits into the 18th century at minimum with a folding handle before I pick one up.
I have a nice six-inch cast iron skillet with folding handle, which doubles as the lid for my larger two-man boiler. Lightest piece of cast iron I could find. I just can't remember which sutler I purchased from. It was one of these two:

http://turkeyfootllc.com/Trekking.html, 1/3 of the way down the page
http://www.crazycrow.com/mm5/merchant.m ... 22-100-000

(Both sites also carry nice corn boilers, too.)
"If you bring a Ranger with you, it is well to pay attention to him."
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Thank you all for the suggestions! It's very helpful to have a sort of guideline I can refer to.

And yeah, I should really see about getting one or more pieces of cookware. A boiler/cookpot seems the most useful, but it also seems like it would be relatively large and awkward. How would you/how do you carry a boiler around?

Or, is it possible to just boil things in a frying pan? XD I like the look of this one Chris posted:

Assuming that boiling in a frying pan is not inadvisable or destructive, it sure looks deep enough to hold a decent amount of water.
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Boilers, arn't really that big. Mine is about 4" in diameter by 6-7" tall. If you pack your dry food or similar in it, it takes up very little space in your pack or blanket roll.
BrianGrubbs

Post by BrianGrubbs »

I carry a small (3/4 qt.) pot from an old mess kit like this one http://www.rei.com/product/401057/open- ... t-mess-kit It fits into my sporran just fine, and is super light. They are also cheap, not glaringly modern, and easily obtained.

Brian
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I use a copper corn boiler, tin lined. Sometimes I also carry a small iron frying pan; the handle folds into it and is socketed to accept a stick. They aren't terribly heavy. The boiler goes in my blanket roll, and when I take it, the pan goes in my haversack.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Sounds like boilers are a lot more manageable than I thought if the diameters tend to be only around 4".

Anyway... I'm realizing that I'll need something to actually carry the boiler, food supplies, and such. :mrgreen: I think a haversack would work best for me. Is there any place I could find a good haversack pattern?

Thanks.