Soft Leather Belt pouch (aka sporron)

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

man_of_tanith
Dúnadan

Soft Leather Belt pouch (aka sporron)

Post by man_of_tanith »

I've been working on this for a week or two now
its to act as a possibles pouch when out and about in the woods and fits with the Emberverse Rangers I prefer
Front of pouch (spark stick/ ferro rod for scale)
Rear of pouch
Hanging on my belt

Since taking the last image I have shortened the length of the thonging to a more practical length and treated the veg tan with bear cream which has darkened it a little

hope you like it
(and that I have posted this in the correct forum section)
Man of tanith
Only the Wilderness is Pure Truth
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Soft Leather Belt pouch (aka sporron)

Post by Peter Remling »

Very practical, I was going to comment on the length of the thongs in the last pic, but you've already address that. Nice Job!
man_of_tanith
Dúnadan

Post by man_of_tanith »

i didn't want to commit to length until i had loaded it up and generally had a mess around with it
its quite a cavernous pouch because it is soft leather it allows more in it than the wet formed leather pouches i am used to.
i think it will be a regular user
Fox
Dúnadan

Post by Fox »

Very sharp looking as well.
“Courage is found in unlikely places.” -J.R.R. Tolkien
BarrelMaker
Wayfarer

Post by BarrelMaker »

Great pouch, really nice work. Thanks to this forum I just started "Dies the Fire" I'm really looking forward to it. Do you wear the pouch off to the side as it is in the picture, or on the front like a sporron?
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I love it!

The use of the hard and soft leather is going to make it very strong and really makes it stand out when you look at it as a quality peice!

I predict a bit of plagerising is in order!
Don't worry we steal from each other all the time, Imatation being the highest for of flatery!

:mrgreen: ~Ringulf
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
man_of_tanith
Dúnadan

Post by man_of_tanith »

Fox-thank you very much

Barrelmaker-as per photo i wear it on my hip. (i managed to do myself a mischief with a different pouch wearing it at the front) it is part of my belt kit incorporating knife, hatchet and such like.
The Emberverse series is possibly my favourite series, i reckon i have read it a good half dozen times book one to the last one since i bought dies the fire last september, drives my other half mad

Ringulf-feel free to mimic it, i liberated the idea from a bushcraft forum i frequent so its not like its my idea :)
BrianGrubbs
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by BrianGrubbs »

You get that from Ozhaggishead's pouch tutorial on the BushcraftUSA forum? That's the one I use. I love that style pouch, I use it all the time. I like what you did with yours, the stitching around the edge of the flap gives it a nice finished look.

Brian
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
man_of_tanith
Dúnadan

Post by man_of_tanith »

Not Quite, i got it from his tutorial on BushcraftUK
thank you for the praise i'm very pleased with it, its my most elaborate leather project so far
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

OK my attempt at this design came in a tad smaller but were designed as thankyou gifts for my marshals.
The Greenman or Wood Dwarf as he is being called is now becoming part of the creative theme for my Rangers down here in Trimaris. as you can see in the Ranger Moot thread for Vaca del Mar.

Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
man_of_tanith
Dúnadan

Post by man_of_tanith »

wow well that's blown mine out the water somewhat, its really nice in fact i'm in awe of that

really like the green man in that.

back to the drawing board for me i reckon
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

I think both projects look great! I love how we all inspire each other on this forum! Keep 'em coming!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

man_of_tanith wrote:wow well that's blown mine out the water somewhat, its really nice in fact i'm in awe of that

really like the green man in that.

back to the drawing board for me i reckon
En contrere my brother I may have done some embelishment as far as decoration goes but your construction and sewing is a standard I am only trying to aspire to. I truly admire how clean and well made your pouch is.
Quite often I have to go a bit farther on the artsy fartsy side, just to make up for the lack of what you have a firm grasp on! :mrgreen:
man_of_tanith
Dúnadan

Post by man_of_tanith »

Ringulf wrote:
En contrere my brother I may have done some embelishment as far as decoration goes but your construction and sewing is a standard I am only trying to aspire to. I truly admire how clean and well made your pouch is.
Quite often I have to go a bit farther on the artsy fartsy side, just to make up for the lack of what you have a firm grasp on! :mrgreen:
why thank you.
next projects in the pipeline as i type,
well actually the dye is drying.
working on a blanket roll strp to allow me to carry bedding and a canvas tarp/poncho with me