Scuffing on bow glove

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Scuffing on bow glove

Post by Jon »

Sooo I made a new batch of arrows so can start shooting again.

These ones are a little vicious on the bow hand, and they seem to scuff up the leather a bit, like this

I'm not sure what the best solution to this is, as I can't easily make the arrows less painful (I was used to shooting without a glove before), but I don't see that as much of a problem. Perhaps I just need to beef up the glove a bit, and was wondering the best way to do this.
My first idea was to just sow a patch of thicker leather where the arrow passes, but I think the arrow might catch the edge of it. Maybe I could sow one on the inside? but then it would still wear through the original leather and leave a hole that would also catch the arrow.

To sow or not to sow? Are there any other ways I could do it besides getting a better glove (very low on budget).

I case you're wondering sort of how the arrow is fletched (this may affect judgement):

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Scuffing on bow glove

Post by Peter Remling »

Try rubbing in a little melted wax over the string before and after the fletching.
BrianGrubbs
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by BrianGrubbs »

Like Peter said, that binding at the front of the fletching is what's getting you. Either wax, or some thin glue to cover the binding to make the transition smoother should help.

Brian
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Bees wax is period but if not available a little clear nail polish will also work.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Those guys are right, but if you wanted to just sew or glue a patch over the worn area, I've done that and had no problem with it. I wouldn't use anything TOO thick, just something to give another layer of protection.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I usually coat that portion of the wrapping with beeswax. It means I don't have to patch the glove for a very long time. :)

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
robinhoodsghost
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by robinhoodsghost »

If you don't have bees wax, Elmers Glue works just fine. A small amount will dry clear. Good to keep bees wax around....for this problem and for your bow string.
In the darkest part of Sherwoods glade, in the thickest part of the wood, there are those who say, can still be seen, the ghost of Robin Hood.
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

I have beeswax so will definitely try that. I'm thinking of just making a brand new one, in the style that Gondian has done hhis together with a bracer.

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.