Idle musing

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Idle musing

Post by Eledhwen »

A lifelong dream of mine has been to hike the entire Appalachian Trail...a through hike. I have done segments of it in nearly every state it passes through, even a few overnights here and there, but never a through hike. With my youngest nearing adulthood and a change in life patterns coming in the next couple of years as a result, I have been quietly preparing to actually do this, rather than dream about it.

Of course, me being who I am, I am in fact looking at doing this in Ranger kit. Primitive kit from start to finish, essentially, although utilization of post drops and whatnot would be necessary, as it is with modern gear. A serious challenge, but I am a pretty experienced and hardened adventuress so it is not, I think, beyond my abilities. We shall see how it plays out, but more and more I am leaning towards doing the trip this way.

The forge, if I can keep it up for a while, will help with the financing of the trip. Certainly I will be field testing the gear I have made myself. 'Field tested, Ranger approved.' LOL But seriously, I would like to do this with kit entirely made by me...vanity perhaps, but I really do want to see how well the stuff holds up in extended field conditions.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Idle musing

Post by wulfgar »

I say go for it! The hardest will be footwear in my opinion. If you wear period footwear for the whole trip you are setting yourself up for some injury even with a lot of training. You may want to look into modifying a modern boot so it looks period.
You can't take the sky from me.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

" 'Field tested, Ranger approved.' "

I own the rights to that but for a small yearly fee.................. :)

Sounds like a wonderful experience for you and your son. Have Fun , Be Safe and let us know when you plan to go, when you finalize your plans.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Oh it won't be for a couple of years; Talie still has to graduate. That said, it will take a couple of years of planning and prep.

I can do the whole trail in period footwear; I've been wearing soft soles while hiking over rough terrain for years now. I dislike hard soled shoes. Even so, I shall have the making to construct something at need.

I am looking forward to it..but of course, the feasibility of it all has to be closely examined.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Eledhwen wrote:A lifelong dream of mine has been to hike the entire Appalachian Trail...a through hike. I have done segments of it in nearly every state it passes through, even a few overnights here and there, but never a through hike. With my youngest nearing adulthood and a change in life patterns coming in the next couple of years as a result, I have been quietly preparing to actually do this, rather than dream about it.

Of course, me being who I am, I am in fact looking at doing this in Ranger kit. Primitive kit from start to finish, essentially, although utilization of post drops and whatnot would be necessary, as it is with modern gear. A serious challenge, but I am a pretty experienced and hardened adventuress so it is not, I think, beyond my abilities. We shall see how it plays out, but more and more I am leaning towards doing the trip this way.

The forge, if I can keep it up for a while, will help with the financing of the trip. Certainly I will be field testing the gear I have made myself. 'Field tested, Ranger approved.' LOL But seriously, I would like to do this with kit entirely made by me...vanity perhaps, but I really do want to see how well the stuff holds up in extended field conditions.

Eledhwen
Not sure if this will be a repeat comment- my prior one didn't seem to post.

I saw a documentary a few years ago about through hikers on the AT. What they found is that the older a person was over age 50, the increased likelihood of completing a through hike. The main problems seemed that younger hikers didn't pace themselves well, got impatient and left or got stress fractures.

I think that getting mail drops of supplies is completely in keeping with the spirit of Rangering. A Middle Earth Ranger, unlike an AT through hiker, could hunt, fish and live off the land at will. Also, I think supply caches were part and parcel (pun intended) of Ranger life- Rangers would leave hidden supplies for themselves and their kind, as well as having trusted friends in outlying farms, villages, etc. , where they could stop for supplies and also to pass along and receive information.

If you do a through hike, I'm sure that fellow Rangers from the forum will want to meet up and hike along for a few days. I did that with a friend, and brought her a bunch of supplies.

Someday, I'd love to do a through hike. My problem is that I'm an older dad. I'm 48 and my sons are 4 and 1. When they're old enough to want to do that kind of hiking, I can only hope that I'm still in shape to go along.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Keep the faith, brother. I'm 57 next month and will be around 59 when I finally can go on the trip. The eldest person to do the through hike, and more than once, was a 70+ year old woman. I too have heard that the older the more likely a completion is. I do intend to take it easy so rather than the four months most folk spend, I am aiming at six, so leaving Springer in Georgia in February-March and arriving at Katahdin in Maine in August-September. Later than that isn't wise in the northern reaches.

Folk meeting and hiking along would be an awesome thing, I think. :)

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

If you do it, I will most definitely meet up along the way for a few nights.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Weapons on the Trail are allowed as long as the hiker has the proper permits from their state of origin..if any. Weapons cannot be discharged on the Trail, nor for 100 meters on either side of it. Bows not requiring permits, and since I would be passing into New England during the hunting seasons, I may be able to slide off the trail for a bit of hunting assuming I have the state permits to hunt. Further research is needed but this is where it stands now. I have a license to carry concealed weapons so if I chose to carry a firearm I'd be covered. If I did though, it would be a musket and matching pistol. LOL

No, more interested in the bow, a horsebow for compactness and light weight but still powerful in draw. Blunts for arrows...mostly. ;) Things change and they may well change the rules for the AT, but so far so good.

Lots and lots of research and planning to do yet.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

You sound like a worthy person for such a challenge!

Would someone care to clarify the distance of the trail? Doing it in period gear will surely be a first, right? Unless one of the thousands of Civil War enthusiasts has done it.

Footwear: historically people covered this distance on foot, so it must be possible. I'm sure you have considered this but if I were to do it I would take a couple of extra pairs, or get them dropped off...
Age: my Grandad (71) just 2 weeks ago finished the South West Coast path in the UK, a total of 630 miles.

I deeply hope you manage to go ahead with the speculation, and I feel the task suits you well.

Godspeed, Eledhwen.

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

2,184 miles last I looked. I have no idea if anyone has done primitive kit the whole length before.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

Oh. Wow. I was imaging about 1500.

Even more impressive :)

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

That sounds great. I hope you get the chance. I also want to make that trip and had thought to make it in kit, but it will be many years before I get the chance. Keep us informed and I will throw my name in the hat of those willing to make a trip out to see you and hike a few miles. I would consider it an honor.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

Oh yes.. would definately come to see you and hike some with you. Erich and I have talked about this a few times. I myself will need to really get in alot better shape for this. Mostly because of my back issues and health (diabetes) I have to really plan carefully. But, we could always meet up with you at some point and even if my health precludes me doing any hiking, Erich will go for a bit and I can be your resupply and his 'taxi' where he ends his part of the hike.
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Holy cow, this sounds like an amazing undertaking! I can't wait to see what happens with it!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Conditioning routines have been upped. As I say, assuming all research comes out in the viable corner, it will be about two years before I can kick off on the actual journey. Two years to get into peak condition, be super comfortable with all gear carried, plan mail drops, coordinate plans and whatnot. It is no small endeavor.

I look forward to the trip. Hugely so. I don't really care if it has or has not been done this way before, only that I give it my best shot. :)

I'll be working with a variety of loadout combinations as I work towards the kit I will take with me. Winter camping is in the offing this year for sure.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!