Woodsrunner article

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Woodsrunner article

Post by E.MacKermak »

So, I picked up the new issue of Backwoodsman Magazine (http://www.backwoodsmanmag.com/) and I flip the cover open and there is a picture of a pack I have seen before. Our friend from Down Under has written an article on "Long Term Wilderness Living/Survival - Then and Now". It's a good article. Definitely thought provoking.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Kiriana
Haeropada

Re: Woodsrunner article

Post by Kiriana »

I will have to check it. I thought my subscription ended last issue.. but apparently either they didn't or I was wrong because I got the latest in the mail hehe.
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

i have the issue but still have not looked at it. :(
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
robinhoodsghost
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by robinhoodsghost »

That's a great magazine. Is there any other magazines that come, as close to what we do, and like, as Rangers?
In the darkest part of Sherwoods glade, in the thickest part of the wood, there are those who say, can still be seen, the ghost of Robin Hood.
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

There is one called Backwoods Home that is pretty good. I also keep seeing a new one, but I can't remember the name of it. Wal-Mart has it, I believe that there is a Mt. Man in a red capote holding a turkey on the cover. Unfortunately it's like $10 an issue!
You can't take the sky from me.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Keith did an excellent article! I think he made many valid points, including how tech will slowly go back to the tried and true. Wulgar, that is American Frontiersman, I believe, and it's been out since December. Well worth the 10 bucks, I think, but with the internet I think you could find most of the subjects for free, or on our new wiki for the group :)

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

wulfgar wrote:There is one called Backwoods Home that is pretty good. I also keep seeing a new one, but I can't remember the name of it. Wal-Mart has it, I believe that there is a Mt. Man in a red capote holding a turkey on the cover. Unfortunately it's like $10 an issue!
The magazine you are thinking of is American Frontiersman. I have that one. Some good info in it.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

There's an interesting article - 'Just What is a Ranger?' - in the newest Muzzleloader magazine, which gives a bit of background on the historical idea of rangers, proto-rangers pre-Rogers, and then a fairly in-depth overview of specific instances of Rangers used in the F&I/colonial era. Worth checking out.

FWIW, the issue also has a good article (and great how-to pictures) on snowshoeing, which definitely come in handy for we Men who venture into the frozen wastes (unlike those lucky elves, what with their walking light on snow and all!)
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA