Who's up for a wiki?

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

caedmon
Balku'npâ

Who's up for a wiki?

Post by caedmon »

Ok, it's been a while since I floated this, but I wanna give it another try. We have a lot of really good stuff here for general rangering, but it's locked away in old forum posts.

I would love to see a blossoming compendium of base gear for Middle Earth, historical, Arulean, and years 1/10/25 Emberverse Rangering.

I would love to see sewing guides that are easily accessible, ways of cataloging rangering weapons, etc. The possibilities are endless.

I have time & resources to host and maintain the wiki software, but not to really guide or catalog information. Is anyone, or are a few anyones, up to shepherding a wiki?
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Who's up for a wiki?

Post by Peter Remling »

Whatever you need ! Just let me know.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I would be happy to help in any way I can. (I am better with Wookies than Wikis but I can give it a shot) :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Happy to help.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

I think it's a great idea; searching prior threads for specific info frequently ends up in not finding the info that's actually there.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

I am fully in support of this, and sincerely hope it happens - although I have absolutely none of the skills necessary to help, unfortunately.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Gondian
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Gondian »

I would absolutely love to see this happen!!! But like Manveruon I have no skill what so ever in this area :(
LOVE NOT THE BRIGHT SWORD FOR IT'S SHARPNESS OR THE ARROW FOR IT'S SWIFTNESS, BUT RATHER LOVE THAT WHICH THEY DEFEND
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I would not think that there would need to be to much computer programing needed for the majority of it. One or two administrators could be aided by others with the same skills we use here on the boards, that look up old posts and copy and paste them into catagories. Am I far off base on this? The legwork is going to be the challenge IMHO. :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Ringulf wrote:I would not think that there would need to be to much computer programing needed for the majority of it. One or two administrators could be aided by others with the same skills we use here on the boards, that look up old posts and copy and paste them into catagories. Am I far off base on this? The legwork is going to be the challenge IMHO. :mrgreen:
I believe you are correct. I can barely turn the damn thing on but, I can look stuff up ! :)

Most likely we'd each take a category or several and just search copy and paste. If I happened to identify something in another's category, I'd simply pm the individual and let them know I found such and such when searching for whatever. Before going crazy sending pms, I'd wait at least a month to give the other time to find it on their own and not flood everyone with pms.

Let's face it there will be a lot of cross catagories.
Nemo of Calh
Dúnadan

Post by Nemo of Calh »

Nemo approves of this idea.

I also find myself often looking up people's kits on this forum, but it's often difficult. What if there were a section of the wiki for kit breakdowns? People could keep updating them whenever they update their kits, and new and old people could have reference points for what could go into a complete kit.
"He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." Micah 6:8
Addreonynn
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Addreonynn »

I've never built a wiki, but am pretty good at web development. If you need help, just ask!!!
If by my life or death I can protect you, I will. You have my sword...
To truly survive in the woods, one must be able to thrive in the woods
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Addreonynn Lightfoot wrote:I've never built a wiki, but am pretty good at web development. If you need help, just ask!!!

Ok, I'm asking. PMing you.
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Not sure how a Wiki s/b set so I'm just guessing that one of the things we should be doing is getting a list of topics to research.

Skills are vastly different from each other so I broke them down to the specific skill.

Soft Kit
Hard kit
Weapons
how-tos
fire starting
sharpening
clothing/garb
food prep
tracking
setting a camp
archery
swordsmanship
weapon hurling

Just a quick list, please add to it. It is certainly not complete.

When we have a good selection, I suggest we pick a topic. Announce your choice and start to search.

Jack, If I'm overstepping or jumping the gun, just let me know.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

I'm so excited! It's great to finally have a "front page" at ranger.budgetauthenticity.org, too.

By the way... the wiki thing got me thinking... what do you guys think about the possibility of a wiki based RPG? When I was in high school (which feels like ages upon ages ago now) I was on this weird little community site called Elftown, and they had a whole "wiki" section that members could use to their own liking. It actually worked really well, and was amazingly user-friendly, but I don't have any idea whether this kind of "wiki" is the same kind of "wiki" we used on there. Still, it made for great running, freely-editable roleplays. Just a thought.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

That is so awesome! Yah for wiki! I will help in any way that I can!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"