The cult of Narsil

For discussion of Dunedain culture, what it might have looked like and how it worked.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Ringulf
Naugothrain

Re: The cult of Narsil

Post by Ringulf »

Yup that is what I figured!
I really do like this design I will show you mine when it is finished.

BTW I need your mailing address :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Of course relics were not limited to Seax type knives.
narsil2.gif
narsil2.gif (370.17 KiB) Viewed 27471 times
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

I like that :) as long as noone has to lose a finger to join the club :P

Ken of the 10 fingers.
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Historical example, found the image, but no details.
50C6E88A-ABF8-44F3-B9AD-817D62251AA5.jpeg
50C6E88A-ABF8-44F3-B9AD-817D62251AA5.jpeg (62.28 KiB) Viewed 26466 times
-Jack Horner

Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

caedmon wrote:Historical example, found the image, but no details.

50C6E88A-ABF8-44F3-B9AD-817D62251AA5.jpeg
I found a discussion on myArmoury.com about that image - https://myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?p=322020
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

.... well that looks almost creepily familiar. Ursus, have you been time travelling again? :mrgreen:
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Lovely piece! Maybe we ARE on the right track with giganto-seaxes...
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Will Whitfoot
Dúnadan

Post by Will Whitfoot »

Is there an aspect of the Cult of Narsil that encompasses its transformation into Anduril? I want to know every minute detail of the process by which the sword was remade. I have a pretty good idea how difficult that would be... far beyond the difficulty of making the entire sword from scratch.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

The cult of Narsil is a purely made-up, fanciful creation of how Numenorean culture might have progressed in handling the breaking of the blade from 2nd are Isildur to 3rd age Dúnedain. Completely from the imagination of Caedmon, there’s nothing more that exists other than what is written here. Pretty neat way to justify the use Seax-type blades, given no other options, but that’s all there is.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

I hadn't seen this thread until today, I love the idea of the 'cult of Narsil' thing Caedmon, along with the idea that there may be rangers with a sign other than the star, fascinating.
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Will Whitfoot wrote:Is there an aspect of the Cult of Narsil that encompasses its transformation into Anduril? I want to know every minute detail of the process by which the sword was remade. I have a pretty good idea how difficult that would be... far beyond the difficulty of making the entire sword from scratch.

Yeah pretty much what Greg said. IT's my own musings. But if you already caught that and are asking what my musings are... I have never gone past the events of the Books. Anduril is, at best, current events that I would have had little direct knowledge of.

--------------

That said, If those of the Cult who were learned in Lore were to speculate, they would tell you that pattern welding the pieces into a billet, and then forging it anew would be a reasonable way to go.

Another method is suggested by the Dwarves of the Blue Nountains. But this results in a shorter sword than the original.

But what craft yet is used in Imladris I cannot say.
-Jack Horner

caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Elleth wrote:.... well that looks almost creepily familiar. Ursus, have you been time travelling again? :mrgreen:
Well yeah. It a LOT like some of the group's long knives. Perhaps better than my hypothetical Narsils.
-Jack Horner

Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

Elleth wrote:.... well that looks almost creepily familiar. Ursus, have you been time travelling again? :mrgreen:
The ultimate secret forum project! I was hoping you guys wouldn’t find out this way...

But seriously that is an awesome find! It’s giving me some ideas, and I just happen to have gotten a new forge from Majestic for Christmas that’s been far to idle...
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
Will Whitfoot
Dúnadan

Post by Will Whitfoot »

With Japanese swords, broken blades are fairly common... usually broken at or close to the hilt. The usual method of salvaging such a blade is to re-drill the mekugi- hole, shortening the blade by moving the handle up. This preserves the point architecture which is critical. I suspect that in the western tradition many daggers and other small knives were made from broken off sword points.
Darnokthemage
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Darnokthemage »

On the topic of Seaxes, i have found very strong evidence that the Nothern Dunedain used them! In drafts of the Rotk Denenthors calls the barrow-blade of Pippin a Sax, made by the dunedain of the north. (Paraphrasing)
Artist, larper and history lover.