Custom Sword Build

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eothain
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Custom Sword Build

Post by Eothain »

Wow, just wow! Great looking sword Manveruon, Congrats brother!
...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Bet you're pretty excited that the sword is finished, eh? :D
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

YOU HAVE NO IDEA. :mrgreen:

Yeah, to say the least, I am fairly thrilled. Sorry I forgot to update folks on here! For those still wondering, below are some pictures of the finished sword! I'M SUPER EXCITED! It should theoretically arrive on the 24th, making it my perfect Christmas present to myself!

And finally, for one more reference, here is my original drawing, upon which Ernie based the entire design. I overlayed the full picture of the finished sword on top of the original drawing, and the two are almost identical. The only variations between the two are some slight differences in proportion (the blade is a tad longer, and the cross-guard a bit wider on the final sword, for example). Overall, I could not be more thrilled!

Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Amazing! that is one of the nicest swords I have ever seen! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Congrats, she's beautiful and well worth the wait.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Oh yeah and stats when you get her. Please !
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Peter Remling wrote:Oh yeah and stats when you get her. Please !
I second the motion!
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

She's stunning. Glad it turned out so well...I hope when you pick her up, it's exactly what you were looking for.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Addreonynn

Post by Addreonynn »

Absolutely stunning! Can't wait to see it in your kit!
If by my life or death I can protect you, I will. You have my sword...
To truly survive in the woods, one must be able to thrive in the woods
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Thanks guys! I know I've said it before, but it bears repeating - I'm ridiculously excited for tomorrow! My only concern is that the blade might be just a tad longer than I wanted. I do tend to prefer a shorter blade, in general. This one is a Hanwei/Tinker Early Medieval Single-Handed Sword blade, and I've never actually handled one, so I don't have any idea if they feel rather long for a one-hander, or pretty proportional. Even if that's the case though, I'm sure I'll still be extremely pleased with it. Just the pictures alone tell me that much.

I may need a little help in the stats department though.

This is sort of the first "real" sword I've ever owned. I do have one fairly decent Windlass pirate-cutlass / infantry-hanger from several years ago that I got through Museum Replicas, and I also have an épée du soldat from a company called Raystown Forge (which I can't seem to find on the web anymore) which is, by all accounts, fairly passable (carbon steel, fairly springy, solid brass hilt, etc). Neither of these fall into the category of "sword-like-objects," but they aren't extremely high quality, either. Then there is my unlicensed Strider sword replica, which definitely falls into the "sword-like-object" category.

This being my first decent quality sword, I'm not really sure how best to go about measuring and recording the stats on it. I've lurked a tiny bit around various online sword forums, but not much, so I'm not very well versed. I know that point-of-balance is important, and so is center-of-percussion, but I'm not sure how best to measure those two items, and I don't really know any other important details or measurements I should be looking for. If I can get a better idea of that stuff though, I would be happy to write up a full review! I'd also love to do some cutting with it, but that may have to wait until I can find a place to actually do so. I doubt the homeowners association would much appreciate me slashing away at stuff on the clubhouse lawn, heh.

And lastly, while I'm remembering, I was wondering if I could get some advice on maintenance care and storage. I don't have a clue how to keep a sword like this in good shape over time, whether just displaying it, storing it, or wearing it with garb. Any info is appreciated!
Last edited by Manveruon on Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Manveruon wrote:Thanks guys! I know I've said it before, but it bears repeating - I'm ridiculously excited for tomorrow! My only concern is that the blade might be just a tad longer than I wanted. I do tend to prefer a shorter blade, in general. This one is a Hanwei/Tinker Early Medieval Single-Handed Sword blade, and I've never actually handled one, so I don't have any idea if they feel rather long for a one-hander, or pretty proportional. Even if that's the case though, I'm sure I'll still be extremely pleased with it. Just the pictures alone tell me that much.

I may need a little help in the stats department though.

This is sort of the first "real" sword I've ever owned. I do have one fairly decent Windlass pirate-cutlass / infantry-hanger from several years ago that I got through Museum Replicas, and I also have an épée du soldat from a company called Raystown Forge (which I can't seem to find on the web anymore) which is, by all accounts, fairly passable (carbon steel, fairly springy, solid brass hilt, etc). Neither of these fall into the category of "sword-like-objects," but they aren't extremely high quality, either. Then there is my unlicensed Strider sword replica, which definitely calls into the "sword-like-object" category.

This being my first decent quality sword, I'm not really sure how best to go about measuring and recording the stats on it. I've lurked a tiny bit around various online sword forums, but not much, so I'm not very well versed. I know that point-of-balance is important, and so is center-of-percussion, but I'm not sure how best to measure those two items, and I don't really know any other important details or measurements I should be looking for. If I can get a better idea of that stuff though, I would be happy to write up a full review! I'd also love to do some cutting with it, but that may have to wait until I can find a place to actually do so. I doubt the homeowners association would much appreciate me slashing away at stuff on the clubhouse lawn, heh.

And lastly, while I'm remembering, I was wondering if I could get some advice on maintenance care and storage. I don't have a clue how to keep a sword like this in good shape over time, whether just displaying it, storing it, or wearing it with garb. Any info is appreciated!
Okay, Let's start with the important stuff first:

For the least amount of maintainance, a product called Renaissance Wax. You apply this and can leave it for months at a time if you're leaving the on a wall or not cutting or handling. It can be purchased at a number of online shops including Museum Replicas.
If you're going to use it for cutting or intend to handle it a lot, I'd recommend a light oil. I use mineral oil but any thin light oil (non organic) will do. Apply lightly with a clean (lint free) cloth. After using/handling your sword you will have to clean and dry your blade and reapply the oil. You will also have to check your blade periodically to ensure the oil doesn't get wiped off or evaporate.

To determine the POB (Point of Balance) simply find the balance point of the sword by placing your finger under the blade above the guard, where it balances is your POB.

The COP (Center of Percussion) is the section of the blade that vibrates the least. Knowing the COP is important when cutting as all the force in your swing is directly behind the edge. Vibrations on the blade cause the force of your stroke to dissipate. Hopefully this is understandable.

To determine the COP, strike the blade with your palm, look along the blade, down the edge,for the section that moves/vibrates the least, this is your COP.

This is a quick explanation, if it's not understandable, I can elaborate.

I would recommend you either make or purchase a scabbard for her. There are a number of Do It Yourself threads here and on other forums or you can send it out and have one made for you. Yeah I know , you don't even have it yet, and I mentioned sending it out. Can you say Separation Anxiety! :)

Again Congrats
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Peter Remling wrote:To determine the COP, strike the blade with your palm, look along the blade, down the edge,for the section that moves/vibrates the least, this is your COP.
I recommend striking the flat of the pommel rather than the blade, personally.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Thanks guys!

I figured that was probably the best method for finding the COP, I just hadn't done it before. I too would probably strike the pommel rather than the blade - seems to make sense. Are there any other stats that might interest the sword enthusiasts here on the forum? Any other characteristics I should be bearing in mind and making note of while putting it through its paces?

Thanks for the tips on care as well. I'll have to look into Renaissance Wax. As for the scabbard, a plan is already in the works! I'm going to try my hand at making one with an integrally laced sword belt. Quite some time ago I downloaded an extremely detailed PDF on making scabbards of this type, and I have also saved several video and picture tutorials. It seems like a really fun project. The only part I need to figure out is where to get the wood core. I plan to ask a few folks I know in my local SCA barony to see if any of them can make me one, maybe for trade. Then all I have to do is find a chape I like, and I can do the leather work myself.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

The only other stat that would be important aside from the physical dimensions would be the weight. A fish scale is probably the most used device as bathroom scales weigh to the pound and can be very misleading because modern scales have multiple weighing points and they calculate an avg. This works very well with large objects or people but kinda sucks for small odd shaped items.