Sword Repair

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eothain
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Sword Repair

Post by Eothain »

So a few weeks ago I got out my sword and noticed that the guard was a little bit loose on it. This being my first legitimate sword (peened pommel), I have never had to repair one before. So I looked around on some other sites and forums, and also called up the company to figure out how to go about fixing the sword. The company, Dark Sword Armory, instructed me to first twist the pommel to see if I could tighten it a bit, which really confused me because they claim it is a peened pommel and not threaded, and since I'm a newb at this sort of thing I figure you would twist the pommel to tighten a threaded pommel. After trying to twist it tight I was instructed to sand the tang just a little bit and then hit it a few times with a ball peen hammer in order to fold the tang over the pommel. So after ending my call I proceeded to repair the weapon as instructed, but no matter how much I tried I could not tighten the pommel at all. So I went to the computer and instead of searching "sword repair peened pommel" as I had before, I searched "loose guard", because at this point the only apparent problem is the guard. The majority of the opinions I looked at claimed the best method is to string a good rope or fishing line around the guard and to the pommel, trying to get it as tight as possible. Then injecting an epoxy, most saying jb weld, into the gaps of the guard and wiping away the excess. Once it's dry they claim the sword should be back to normal. The only thing is I feel a bit nervous about the whole injecting epoxy into the guard.

So after reading and hearing these opinions, I feel a bit torn as to how I should go about repairing it. I feel I should ask my fellow rangers who have most likely had experience with this sort of thing, so your opinions and help are most welcome!
...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.
Yavion

Re: Sword Repair

Post by Yavion »

It all depends on how industrious you are feeling.

The truth is, a loose guard is bad even if you shim it in with twine or fishing line. That's only a temporary fix as you are not fixing the actual issue of how the guard is seated. Since you are not likely to enter in real, mortal combat, the twine/fishing line fix will work and probably be fine.

If you really want to fix it and make sure you never have this issue again, I'd recommend removing the grip and peening the guard into place. The make a new grip that fits snugly between the guard and pommel. The guard should have been peened in place in the beginning, but not all makers do that.
Eothain

Post by Eothain »

Yavion wrote:If you really want to fix it and make sure you never have this issue again, I'd recommend removing the grip and peening the guard into place. The make a new grip that fits snugly between the guard and pommel. The guard should have been peened in place in the beginning, but not all makers do that.

The only problem with this is that I think if I tried this process and took apart the sword to repair it, then I would just end up making the situation worse. I think it would be difficult for me to craft components of a sword because I am absolutely clueless about it, and I would really hate to mess up the beautiful work the blacksmith who made the sword did. I think in the end I would just end up with a more troublesome or just plain out dismantled sword.
...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jonathan B. »

Eothain wrote:
Yavion wrote:If you really want to fix it and make sure you never have this issue again, I'd recommend removing the grip and peening the guard into place. The make a new grip that fits snugly between the guard and pommel. The guard should have been peened in place in the beginning, but not all makers do that.

The only problem with this is that I think if I tried this process and took apart the sword to repair it, then I would just end up making the situation worse. I think it would be difficult for me to craft components of a sword because I am absolutely clueless about it, and I would really hate to mess up the beautiful work the blacksmith who made the sword did. I think in the end I would just end up with a more troublesome or just plain out dismantled sword.
Heh heh that's funny right there. don't believe a thing on DSA's site EVER. As for fixing it yeah if it truly is peened you will very likely need to re-peen it and probably make a new grip.
Elemmakil
Dúnadan

Post by Elemmakil »

If it were mine I'd just carefully grind off the peen, dismount the hilt, and then rework the thing from the bottom up. The cross would be wedged in place, as would the grip and pommel. Then repeen and you're good!

Of course, I have a full armor workshop at my disposal... Still, what I described above can be done with minimal tools.
Eothain

Post by Eothain »

Yeah, thanks for the insight guys, but like I said... I have really no clue about any of this. I was thinking about searching for a blacksmith that would be willing and able to help me out, but that's a very small chance. If that doesn't happen I can try and look for a detailed tutorial of replacing the skeleton from the guard up. And if that doesn't happen then it looks like injected epoxy.

Again thanks for the insight, loose guard or not it's still a beautiful creation in my eyes.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

There is a Ranger on this forum by the name of Odigan who is very talented when it comes to repairing and refurbishing swords.
He has in the past offered his services to us to help us with just such issues as you have described. I can not speak for him but I do not believe I would be overstepping my bounds to say that if I were in your boots, I would send him a PM for his advice or services or both.
Either way, you would be in contact with one of the best this forum has to offer, in my opinion. :D
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Yavion

Post by Yavion »

Go to Odigan, at this link HERE
Eothain

Post by Eothain »

Thanks for the info!