Affordable spear head.

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Frothgar
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Affordable spear head.

Post by Frothgar »

Hey all,
Considering buying a pair of these spear heads. They run 25 a pop.

http://jas-townsend.com/leaf-shaped-lan ... -p-74.html

Anyone have any experience with these? Considering them for practice throwing and in character weaponry.

Also, anyone know jas townsends coupon policy? if i order something small from them will i get a coupon a few weeks later?

Frothgar
Civilization, it seems, prepared one to live, but not to survive.
-Cimmerian proverb
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Affordable spear head.

Post by wulfgar »

I've never received a coupon from Townsend. I've always wondered about those spearheads, they look a little thin at the waist.
You can't take the sky from me.
Elemmakil
Dúnadan

Post by Elemmakil »

I have the other type of lance point (which is being modified into a Celtic Iron Age type) and they are pretty good. Though thin at the waist, it is solid steel so no fear of bending or breaking. At $25 you are really not taking much of a loss if for some reason it does not meet your expectations...
RikJohnson

Post by RikJohnson »

Here are my spearheads.
Obviously you can tell the Cold Steel ones but the bottom spearhead came from 3Rivers Archery for about $30.
It is cheap Pakistani steel but will do until I can afford a Hanwei head.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
Chris Russo

Post by Chris Russo »

I also have the other JAS Townsend spearhead and it is nice and solid. No complaints. I've thrown it, sharpened it, stabbed soft targets with it, and once scared off coyotes with it and some recorder music. If that is like this one, it's not a bad purchase.

"If you bring a Ranger with you, it is well to pay attention to him."
Frothgar

Post by Frothgar »

Thanks everyone, i just placed my order. Came to 62 with the shipping for 2 heads. Ill try to get some pics up when i finish.

Frothgar
-Cimmerian proverb
RikJohnson

Post by RikJohnson »

I just mounted my head to a shaft. it'll be a bit shorter than the one in Chris's pic (great photo!!!).
anyone put a butt-cap on their spears?
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I've put some butt caps on some of my spears. I used ones purchased from MRL. I also have used some copper pipe joiners to protect the ends from splintering. If you add some steel furniture leg protectors, you'll have some butt caps for under $2 each.
Frothgar

Post by Frothgar »

The heads came today.. A bit heavier and larger than i expected, these will be beefy throwing spears :)

Probably going to hit up lowes on my grocery run tomorrow, anyone know a good standard length for throwers?

Frothgar
-Cimmerian proverb
Chris Russo

Post by Chris Russo »

I've always gone with around 5 feet for a dedicated thrower, 8+ for a dedicated stabber, and between 6 and 7 for an allaround. But that's based on personal preference more than any historical record.
"If you bring a Ranger with you, it is well to pay attention to him."
RikJohnson

Post by RikJohnson »

I finished mounting my head on a 5'6" shaft, then added a butt cap. total length is about 6'.
good for fighting and I'll try throwing eventually.
I didn;t want a really heavy and long shaft as it is clumsy to carry and useful only if you want the other guy/animal as far from you as is possible.
though one fight, the guy thrust, I deflected with a shield and ran in and hit him before he could drop his spear and grab a sword.
a shorter shaft can be thrust, then pulled back and switched to a staff-fighting stance in a hurry.

A spear is a staff with a knife on the end!

No wonder a good spear-man was paid more than a swordsman.
Frothgar

Post by Frothgar »

Carved down the 4 foot shafts a bit yesterday and gave them a test fit. Im not sure what i am going to do. The head is so heavy and the shaft so light (oak) that the thing balances an inch behind the head, feels more like a dart than a spear. May just get a longer spear and turn this into a primary thrusting spear instead of a thrower.

Frothgar
-Cimmerian proverb