Fresh Dunadan Looking for Assistance and to Say Hello

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Fuindir

Fresh Dunadan Looking for Assistance and to Say Hello

Post by Fuindir »

Hello everyone. I'm new around here as I have just recently caught the Spirit of the Ranger. I come to you all both to offer salutations and to ask for assistance. You see, I'm what you would call 'green'. Though I'm very well versed in Tolkien, I am not familiar with any skills of the Ranger. I know no woodsmanship. I have no sort of combat ability, though I've been told I have good instincts. (Gotta count for something, right?) I have none of the equipment, nor do I have any sort of plan for getting myself in the kind of shape necessary.

So, I ask of you all, where do I start? How do I start? It all feels a little overwhelming at the moment. There's so much to learn and do. Thankfully I have you all, for which I am already grateful. It's good to know that there is an entire awesome community of people behind me to help get me started and keep me on track.

Also, another question. Is it possible to create a Ranger kit that is faithful to the PJ movies and still be functional? I admire the look of the films and feel they did a fantastic job capturing a look of Tolkien's universe, something I would like to emulate. And suggestions?

I'm looking forward to this journey with you all and hoping this will be the beginning of a fantastic fellowship.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Re: Fresh Dunadan Looking for Assistance and to Say Hello

Post by Willrett »

Welcome to the group. Being here is a great first step in the process.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Start at the beginning:

Assess what you're interested in:
Woodcraft Skills
Costume/Garb
Equipment
Fighting Skills

There are a number of easy inexpensive ways to start on each: Woodcraft Skills- check your local parks for classes on plant identification, pick up or check online for Scouting/military handbooks- There are a good number of survival books, take the time to read a few.
For fire starting- pick up a flint and steel, read one of the many online techniques (some are posted here and on the Wiki)
Costuming : sketch out a basic drawing of what you want your clothing to look like and then start with the easy ones- pants, shirts/tunic whatever- think spring/summer, hold off on winter weight for the moment
Equipment: Start with the most inexpensive and the ones you can fabricate- odds are you have or someone in the family has a decent knife, pick up a cheap sharpening stone and practice with a not so good knife. It doesn't matter the quality of the stone at this time, you're practicing to get the same angle every time.
Flint and steel - you'll probably need to purchase- they are fairly cheap figure less than $20 for a steel, flint and some charcloth or tinder an old Sucrets tin stripped of paint makes a good flint/steel box.

As with any Fighting Skills, I recommend some unarmed skills first, Archery is some thing anyone with a backyard can do, For sword, spear, axe and or dagger training, you can look to ARMA, the SCA or one of the many local non-recognized Fight Schools. Again the SCA and online sources will give you advise on which ones to check out.

Before going anywhere else, I suggest you take the time to read a lot of the threads here as all of what you're asking for ahs been addressed in some capacity in these pages,

Welcome to the Forum
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Welcome!

If I read correctly, you've got three points you'd like to change:

1) Getting physically fit for rangering (ranging?).
2) Learning woodcraft.
3) Putting together a Ranger kit.
4) Fighting.

You can certainly get pointers for all three here on the forum. One thing to keep in mind is that all three will take time.

As we Rangers still seem to be few and far between, you might want to look for a local hiking club- that will get you on trails, helping to get you in shape and in the environment. A lot of times, such clubs have veterans with a great wealth of forest lore.

As to your kit- a lot of my gear, clothing, kit, etc. came home with me from Goodwill, Salvation Army and other second-hand stores. If you can find a couple of good wool Army surplus blankets, you're on your way- I think we probably all agree that a cloak or cape is an integral part of the Ranger garb.

Probably the easiest way to learn fighting would be to find your nearest Society for Creative Anachronism group and look into their fighting subgroup.

Don't be afraid to experiment. Since I've been on the forum, I've started playing with making leather stuff- I had never even tried anything like that before. I recently made a quiver and am toying with plans to make winter boots (built over felt boot liners from my old Sorrels). I would have never contemplated that a year ago. And in doing so, you learn precisely those Ranger skills of self-sufficiency that would be a matter of life and death for someone a two week hike away from the nearest outlying farm or inn.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
brownl_91
Dúnadan

Post by brownl_91 »

Welcome to the group. being new can be hard because it seems like there is so much to do. I grew up camping and backpacking. When i first got into rangerism it was about a year ago and a couple of buddies and i wanted to go camping with just some cloaks and a bedroll slung over our back. It was a great experience and i have never looked back. If you have any questions let me know.

Where to start can be hard. I'd say look through old posts and see what interests you most and go from there
Addreonynn
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Addreonynn »

For learning bushcraft try the try-stick. Invention of Mors Kochanski's.
and read his book Northern Bushcraft. It'll explain SOOOOOO much! Go into the woods and just sit. watch the animals. I like to go in and find a comfortable place and watch the squirrels and deer. Sometimes I'll see what I can get away with while the deer are near, like move around or say something. Others, I'll scare the crap out of them to learn the paths they take when scared verses their "resource" paths. Just have fun!

For combat, I've fought people who have trained on their own, and people who have fought with others, you can tell the difference! Try and find a partner! Almost a must! but only almost! once you get the basics of combat, learning new weapons/combos can easily be accomplished by one's self. I learned to duel wield one summer when Eothain was working all the time so I was alone and got bored!

As for garb, can't help ya! I'm still trying to put together the garb I'd like.
If by my life or death I can protect you, I will. You have my sword...
To truly survive in the woods, one must be able to thrive in the woods
Sindara
Dúnadan

Post by Sindara »

Welcome to this wonderful forum, Fuindir!! There is so much knowledge here - you will probably find threads on all of the concerns that you listed! I am also fairly new to this group, and already have found much needed information here. Enjoy this great fellowship!
May your days of peace be long, and your enemies few.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Mae govannen, Fuindir. May your stay here be filled with illumination and discovery.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Welcome to the group! I am sure that you will find everything that you need here, thought it might behoove us to put some of this in one category for the newly joined and etc. You will find that most things come with time, and the best kit, imo, is one that is built up over years, so that each part of if carries a story in itself. Have fun!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Khaehaub
Dúnadan

Post by Khaehaub »

Welcome Fuindir!!! You`'ll find that the rangers here are full of knowledge. Over time you will learn our ranger ideals and some of the kits that the other various rangers on the forum have made. No one's kit is exactly the same, but you will see that your own ideals will make a kit to shine here on the forum. I say once again welcome to the forum and may your time here be full of joy and knowledge.
May the best dwarf win... That still only counts as one!
~Gimli
Fuindir

Post by Fuindir »

Hey all, just wanted to say thanks for all the replies. Great advice and an even better reception. It's good to be among friends.
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Welcome! Nice to see another ranger from the Kan-tuc-kee joining our ranks. I'm located about a day's paddling downstream from Louisville.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Mirimaran wrote:Welcome to the group! I am sure that you will find everything that you need here, thought it might behoove us to put some of this in one category for the newly joined and etc. You will find that most things come with time, and the best kit, imo, is one that is built up over years, so that each part of if carries a story in itself. Have fun!

Ken
Great idea Ken! I think that would be a worthy project, if we could put a beginners index together of threads that would most likely get new rangers started I think that would be a great start! :mrgreen:

And warm welcome to you Fuindir! All you need to start is a willing heart and an open mind, the rest is all before you, ask lots of questions and write often. Read anything that looks interesting as you sift through the categories. :wink:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Sindara
Dúnadan

Post by Sindara »

Really like that idea of thread index for beginners! I recommend this forum to the newbies in our ranger group, but something like this would make it much easier to find some basic info!
May your days of peace be long, and your enemies few.
Fuindir

Post by Fuindir »

Udwin wrote:Welcome! Nice to see another ranger from the Kan-tuc-kee joining our ranks. I'm located about a day's paddling downstream from Louisville.
Good to know there IS another Ranger in the Land O' Bluegrass. I live about twenty minutes and a bridge from Cincinnati, Ohio. Not exactly ideal conditions for rangering that close to the city, but I can still find some decent woods. Get all sorts of animals in my yard everyday. If I drive out to the right places, I can get pretty isolated.

Maybe someday we'll get to meet up. It would be good to meet you and I'd love to learn what you know.

Also, the beginner's index sound like a fantastic idea.