Pattern weld axe made from chain

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Pattern weld axe made from chain

Post by Daerir »

Damn!!! That axe is absolutely gorgeous! I have a thing for"Damascus" steel. Do you do swords or knives as well?
An archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong
~Halt, Ranger's Apprentice
Avery P.
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Avery P. »

ineffableone wrote:Wow, I have always liked your axes Avery, but that is a work of art as well as a wonderfully functional tool. I love the work on the handle, totally gorgeous.

What is the head's weight? I noticed you didn't mention that in the specs you provided.
I'm not sure what the weight was, and I don't have a scale to weigh the whole piece. I'd guess a little over 2 pounds all totaled.
Daerir wrote:Damn!!! That axe is absolutely gorgeous! I have a thing for"Damascus" steel. Do you do swords or knives as well?
I've done a couple pattern weld knives, never a sword though. I really don't have the set up to do a billet that big at the moment.

@Ringulf - I thought about putting my bindrune on the handle but I thought I'd go with simplicity with this one.

Thank all for the compliments, they're much appreciated.
If it be a sin to covet honor,I am the most offending soul alive.
- W. Shakespeare
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Do you sell these things?!?!?! Its very beautiful man.
Winter is coming
Avery P.

Post by Avery P. »

mcapanelli wrote:Do you sell these things?!?!?! Its very beautiful man.
Wait, is this the same Mike from over at SBG? if so, welcome man and thanks for the compliment.

Well, this is the first pattern weld axe I've made so I'll be keeping this one most likely. Plus doing one out of chain was more for fun and isn't very cost effective. But, I have made billets out of alternating stacks of steel.
So, short answer is yes, I will be selling these as I make them. Which given my free time will be about one every decade or so, lol.
If it be a sin to covet honor,I am the most offending soul alive.
- W. Shakespeare
Stormraven

Post by Stormraven »

Really great looking axe! Bet the steel is strong too.
"Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the wise cannot see all ends."