The Ranger's Gear

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Willrett
Thangailhir

Re: The Ranger's Gear

Post by Willrett »

anyone know of a decent priced horn that comes with some sort of pattern or training book of some sort.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

You may have to make one if you can't buy one. Locate a moderate sized horn, ebay generally has some decent ones. Don't worry about age, it doesn't matter. Pick up a mouthpiece from any woodwind and cut the horn and/or the mouthpiece to fit. Some straps and decor and away you go. You won't need any manual, they generally will only give you one note and it's just a matter of how loud you blow it. That will take a little practice if you've never played a woodwind.

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn46 ... e558-1.jpg

This one had the mouthpiece attached when I got it, but bare otherwise. It's almost 20" long and has a great (insert, loud sound ) to it

I think the horn costs about $9 bucks. The straps and decor cost more than the horn.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Alrighty, Pete, the trumpet player and sound engineer needs to step in and give y'all a horn blowing lesson.

To make a sound, you must of course purse your lips forward into the mouthpiece so that your lips vibrate in a sort of "Buzz" to get the right sound. Don't spit into the horn; blow "through" your lips.

Once you've gotten this figured out, try blowing and then squeezing or stretching your lips while blowing harder. The pitch should jump a fair bit. The whole "ba-waaaa" two-toned horn blow of the rohirrim at Pelennor Fields in the movies IS completely doable. This jump is a step along what is called the "overtone series" which I won't get into...bunch of music theory mumbo-jumbo...but essentially that means that based off of the first tone, one can predict what the second tone will be when it jumps up.

At any rate, give it a try, and you may surprise yourself!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

If its as confusing as it sounds I better record the first few attempts I could end up hurting myself :oops:

Maybe ill put that whistle inside a horn and see what disaster happens :lol:
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Gareth
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Gareth »

Last edited by Gareth on Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Odigan is evidently a kick ass dude! Thats an impeccable Rohirrim impression! I like those boots. 8)

On the subject of blowing horns,take a breath, pucker your lips tightly and blow hard....Yeah I know how that sounds, but thats how its done. :lol:
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Odigan
Vendor

Post by Odigan »

R.D.Metcalf wrote:Odigan is evidently a kick ass dude! Thats an impeccable Rohirrim impression! I like those boots. 8)
Thanks for your kind observation. That kit is honestly just something tossed together for the purposes of the event which would most handily take advantage of their armour rules, etc. As such it's comprised of items I normally use in other contexts but merged to meet the need at hand.

The boots however I cannot recommend highly enough. They are actually Soviet officer's parade boots, that pair being purchased back in 1995 or so. They are my hacking boots (I do ride, if you can't tell from the wear on them), and are some of the most comfortable footwear of any I've had. They are leather soled and constructed as one might expect of Soviet military surplus - like a tank. More than one cobbler has refused to work on them because they are made in a fashion that tall boots simply aren't these days.

So pleased have I been with them that I've always kept an eye out for another pair and just recently received a new set from Front of Russia for 80 USD with shipping.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Many thanks, Odigan 8)
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
doghsin
Wayfarer

Post by doghsin »

Willrett wrote:anyone know of a decent priced horn that comes with some sort of pattern or training book of some sort.
try larkinthemorning.com

http://larkinthemorning.com/Large+Hunte ... /p/HOR048/
"We must protect the forests for our children, grandchildren and children yet to be born. We must protect the forests for those who can't speak for themselves such as the birds, animals, fish and trees." -Qwatsinas
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Ah yes this is the one thanks!
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Reminds me to include my own hunting horn. A large ox horn gifted to me in..oh, '89 I think it was. Deep, low frequency booming tone to it. I am making a new, more period correct baldric for it from medieval hunting sources...and then I'll have to manage more than two tones on it. ;)

Love the sound of that horn. When I get to it I will put up some pics, along with other pieces of kit of I have finished or am in the process of finishing.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Before he passed in 1986 my great-grandfather left his huntin' horn to me, it was made by a Mr. Payne along about 1920, from the horn of an old work steer that had died of old age, along with my swords, my horse and my wedding ring I have no more precious possession in the world. Both the old timers and their hounds knew each others' horns some would be deep others more high pitched and each with a practiced ear were individualistic.

I remember being told that they would carry their horns and rifles to the feilds and if a stranger was spotted the folk would let each other know with their horns and folk 10 miles or more away would know the strangers whereabouts probably before he did :lol: In the ancient times to approach a settlement without winding your horn was considered the act of a theif or raider. I thought it a nice touch that Tolkien had Boromir wind his horn before setting out with the fellowship as a nod to that noble custom.

In alot of ways the horn is more important than any other peice of gear. It is a life line, to both warn comrades and seek their assistance, it tells the world you do not stand alone even if you are momentarily cut off and it lets the foe man know you do not fear to declare your presence and are willing to meet all equally and openly in friendship or combat.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~