New Shield build

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Arbellason
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

New Shield build

Post by Arbellason »

Well ever since my change in kit I figured I might need a shield. It is currently halfway built (sorry about no pics I'll try to gets some) I'm basically waiting on the boss and period iron nails from the uk which could take a bit.
Specs
3/4" thick
24" diameter
Covered in heavy rot resistant canvas
Made out of plywood with an ash handle
Alone a ranger travels unseen and unheard beware those of dark heart for you will sleep not in comfort while I walk.
Udwin
Vendor

Re: New Shield build

Post by Udwin »

Wow, that seems both very small and very thick! What style shield is this going to be?
My round shield is 31 inches diameter, 1/2 inch poplar wood (the boards are held together with a simple tongue-and-groove joint), and still weighs eleven pounds+.
Also, for future reference, there are a number of good metalworkers here on the MERF who could have helped you out with your hardware--no need to contract with someone across the Pond! (I dished the boss on my shield out of some sheet metal from an old oven in less than an hour) And period nails are super easy to make - I made a mess of these copper ones just this week, to attach the keel on my canoe. It never hurts to ask!
Attachments
Shield2.jpg
Shield2.jpg (252.7 KiB) Viewed 14133 times
copper tacks2.jpg
copper tacks2.jpg (194.74 KiB) Viewed 14133 times
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

I have built two shields, and they are heavy as well. My first one is a plank shield, I used pegs and glue to fit together, then two layers of cotton cloth, painted and bound in strips of leather and copper. I think it is pipe fitting wire.

The second is layers of thin plywood and felt glued together, faced in upholstery leather, and then I bent them, first around a tree and then I built a press (which has gone on to it's final reward.) I got the boss from Hal at TherionArms (he's a great guy, btw) and I want to still finish this one with horns at the tips.

Please post pics of your build soon, Arbellason!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Arbellason

Post by Arbellason »

It is a viking styled shield I bought a medium boss from the site linked. Nails are easy enough for me. The reason for size and thickness is that is what was laying around at the time. It actually isn't that heavy for it's thickness it weighs less or equal to my Ar15 which weighs less than ten pounds. I opted for a smaller shield for ease of carry and to accommodate for other items not that I couldn't carry a larger one made of planked wood (which I plan on doing one of these days).

http://www.jelldragon.com/shields.htm
Alone a ranger travels unseen and unheard beware those of dark heart for you will sleep not in comfort while I walk.
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

If you have a belt sander you could thin the edges out gradually from the center to lighten it up. I also believe that this was done on the originals also,,being thinner on the edges.

http://www.kultofathena.com/shields.asp
When they are in stock, the GDFB bosses are pretty good I hear. I have one of the Deepeeka, circular Roman bosses and it is pretty sturdy.
You can't take the sky from me.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

This boss is well reviewed, and looks a little more rustic than some of the GDFB ones - http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BLS8M5 ... r=8-1&vs=1
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I sometimes hate facebook too, but GDFB?....A little strong don't you think! :wink:

(yeah I can be dense, took me quite a bit to figure out the site by the acronym. :roll: )
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

Ringulf wrote:I sometimes hate facebook too, but GDFB?....A little strong don't you think! :wink:

(yeah I can be dense, took me quite a bit to figure out the site by the acronym. :roll: )
That's o.k., it took me a minute to figure out what you were talking about too.
You can't take the sky from me.
Arbellason

Post by Arbellason »

Well it's finally completed. I was going to put markings of Rohan but decided a two tone green would be better for woodlands and green is the color of Rohan so I can be identified as friend on the battlefield if ever on a larger offensive. The canvas is overlapped on the back/edges and a single frontal layer to minimize splinters. In total it weighs only 7 and half pounds.
http://s1374.photobucket.com/user/wmaru ... t=3&page=1
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Your shield looks great! Are you going to add a strap?

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Arbellason

Post by Arbellason »

Yeah I'm going to when I get around to making leather pouches and such that way I can save on cost.