Another example of RD's work

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

hesinraca
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Another example of RD's work

Post by hesinraca »

R.D.Metcalf wrote:I liked your idea of a handle wrap, and while I really dont want to put these back in fire, I have gave some thought to flatening and scrolling the grip terminals, or drawing them to a curly Q something similar to the firesteel above.

Many thanks, Cedric 8)
In that case, don't put them back in the fire. The biggest thing I've learned, at least for me, is that when i force myself to keep going or go back into something, the heart isn't there and the work is mediocre. Just think on it for the next pair. maybe add some leather wrapping and call it good and start a new tool. You could wrap it with deer skin cord, or a sheet and wet-bind it in string so it gets a rope texture like Albion swords does, or whatever you can think of. But if you don't want them in the fire, don't ruin a piece by making yourself work.
-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: Another example of RD's work

Post by Greg »

R.D.Metcalf wrote:Greg,

Heres your pliers along with my fishing vest and zebco 33.

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/6487/f8757c1e58be.jpg

Here they are all by themselves.

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/341/923aa7cee610.jpg

Birds head profile, forged from 1/2" stock, specifically for hook removal and clamping down sinkers, the rivet is 1/4", Jaw length: 3 1/2" drawn to a very fine taper and hardened ,overall length is about 8",

They grip a hook really well and leave quite a mark on a sinker too :lol: Hope you like'em.

~R.D.Metcalf
...dude...

Dude. Nice.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.