Fableblades just put out a new Heronmark sword

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

ineffableone
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Fableblades just put out a new Heronmark sword

Post by ineffableone »

Brendan of Fableblades just produced yet another amazing Heronmark sword, simply named the Warder by the client who commissioned it.

Full info and spec here
http://www.fableblades.com/Heron2.html

A couple drool inspiring pictures. Visit the link for more.

Arbellason

Re: Fableblades just put out a new Heronmark sword

Post by Arbellason »

Stop this madness. It makes me want to have one made.... which I can't afford. I had to delete the bookmark to keep myself from getting any ideas :mrgreen:
Alone a ranger travels unseen and unheard beware those of dark heart for you will sleep not in comfort while I walk.
ineffableone

Post by ineffableone »

Arbellason wrote:Stop this madness. It makes me want to have one made.... which I can't afford. I had to delete the bookmark to keep myself from getting any ideas :mrgreen:
I know I so want to commission a piece from Bendan, but can't afford one at this time. One day I will though I know I will.
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

...I can't speak, so happy I contacted him about making my ranger blade
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Nice work. Not really my style, but an obvious show of skill on his part. I never really liked that the heron mark sword was a single-bladed deal.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
ineffableone

Post by ineffableone »

Greg wrote:Nice work. Not really my style, but an obvious show of skill on his part. I never really liked that the heron mark sword was a single-bladed deal.
Brendan has mentioned over on SBG that it is dual edged. The back edge is a sharp edge.

But Heron mark swords could be any type sword technically. They were the finest swords made for the finest swordsmen, but there was nothing in the books to say they all were the same, and if I remember right I think it was even said they were all unique.
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jonathan B. »

ineffableone wrote:
Greg wrote:Nice work. Not really my style, but an obvious show of skill on his part. I never really liked that the heron mark sword was a single-bladed deal.
Brendan has mentioned over on SBG that it is dual edged. The back edge is a sharp edge.

But Heron mark swords could be any type sword technically. They were the finest swords made for the finest swordsmen, but there was nothing in the books to say they all were the same, and if I remember right I think it was even said they were all unique.
The Heron was the mark of a blade master and as such yes could be put on any type of blade (theoretically). The most prized and the ones that we are shown in the books are all curved single edged "serpentine" Power Wrought blades, Tam's, Laman's, and Hawkwing's all handled/carried by Rand. Lan's sword is also Power Wrought but unmarked if I remember correctly.
Greg

Post by Greg »

ineffableone wrote:
I stand corrected there...but to what purpose? I don't really see the point (no pun intended) in sharpening the false edge on a curved sword such as this...the point is plenty slender enough for a thrust, and the upwards curve would pretty well negate the sharp edge's usefulness past the first two inches or so in a thrust. Curved blades just lend themselves to the fore edge so naturally, I find it hard to imagine anyone trying to cut with the false edge...
ineffableone

Post by ineffableone »

Greg wrote:
ineffableone wrote:
I stand corrected there...but to what purpose? I don't really see the point (no pun intended) in sharpening the false edge on a curved sword such as this...the point is plenty slender enough for a thrust, and the upwards curve would pretty well negate the sharp edge's usefulness past the first two inches or so in a thrust. Curved blades just lend themselves to the fore edge so naturally, I find it hard to imagine anyone trying to cut with the false edge...
I have a kissaki moroha zukuri which has a sharpened 2nd edge on 1/3rd of it.

And yes I have cut with the 2nd edge. It can be quite functional.

As for functionality of a sword with curve to it. History has shown such an edge can be quite functional.
Laothain

Post by Laothain »

I think Fableblades could have made better versions of the weapons in Lord of the Rings that would have been truer to the books
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jonathan B. »

Laothain wrote:I think Fableblades could have made better versions of the weapons in Lord of the Rings that would have been truer to the books
There is no doubt about that, Brendan is a true artist.
Arbellason

Post by Arbellason »

Most of those blades are on commission anyway it takes someone wanting to have a true to book blade.
Alone a ranger travels unseen and unheard beware those of dark heart for you will sleep not in comfort while I walk.
ineffableone

Post by ineffableone »

Jonathan B. wrote:
Laothain wrote:I think Fableblades could have made better versions of the weapons in Lord of the Rings that would have been truer to the books
There is no doubt about that, Brendan is a true artist.
Yes he could have, but his costs, and time it would take to make the movie props would prevent Hollywood from ever going with him to do such sadly.
Greg

Post by Greg »

I don't think so...the first Thor film had the Mad Dwarf Workshop make Heimdall's sword, and that one was a doozy. Pattern-welded, hand-carving, you name it. And that blade was MASSIVE.
Yavion

Post by Yavion »

Greg wrote:I don't think so...the first Thor film had the Mad Dwarf Workshop make Heimdall's sword, and that one was a doozy. Pattern-welded, hand-carving, you name it. And that blade was MASSIVE.
Agreed. You know that Peter Lyon got well reimbursed for LotR.

Mark of Ollin Sword Design did a licensed Fire Emblem sword for one of Nintendo's big releases and said it was more than worth it.

The thing is (no matter what the vision of the maker involved) the director, the producer, the studio head, and the head of the art dept are all going to have a vision and the maker will create what they're paid to create. It's "Art by Comity." :P