Bow repair

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Laothain
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Bow repair

Post by Laothain »

I was inspecting my long bow and saw a spot on the lower limb that the grain came free is there a way that I can use sinew to repair it.
Attachments
The crack.
The crack.
IMG_0061 (1).JPG (81.24 KiB) Viewed 9697 times
Udwin
Vendor

Re: Bow repair

Post by Udwin »

Hmm, depends. Is the crack on the back or the belly of the bow?
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Laothain

Post by Laothain »

It's on the back of the bow on the lower half of the bottom limb
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

I've had this problem happen to be before, only it was nearer to the center of the bow. Either way, this CAN cause the bow to fail, so be very, very careful. I repaired my bow, and the repair held for about one practice, at the end of which I heard/felt a veeeery faint "creaking" in the limb, which I knew from long experience was a bad sign, so I put the bow aside and I haven't used it since, except as a prop.

Still, if you want to try the repair I used, it is highly recommended by many many people on various primitive archery forums around the web. Here is what I did:

First, I used superglue to secure the splinter back in place on the limb of the bow (however, a rubber cement or contact cement of some sort might work better due to it being more flexible). Then I cut a small rectangle of very, very thin pigskin leather, and used heavy-duty Barge contact cement (once again, Barge cement is flexible so it's a good one to use for this job) to apply it to the limb, so that it completely covered the splinter. After this, I took some waxed linen thread (although sinew, artificial sinew, serving thread, or really any number of things like that could work), and I wrapped it as tightly as I could around the area, completely covering the patch of pigskin. I finished whipping it so the ends of the thread didn't stick out (this is a good tutorial on how to do that: http://www.animatedknots.com/commonwhipping/), and I made sure the wrapping was even and very, very snug. After all of this was done, I coated the entire area in a very light layer of superglue.

Before deciding on this method, I spent a long time doing online research about what can be done about this sort of problem, and this method, or slight variations thereof, was the most highly recommended I could find. I believe several other members of this forum also recommended it, and may have used it before. Remember though that when you do this, it will affect the limb tension of the bow, so you'll need to do the same thing to the opposite limb of the bow as well in order to keep the effect even on both sides. It may also increase the poundage of the bow very slightly (although I never noticed much difference).

Mind you, my own fix of this kind failed in the end, so just be fore-warned that there is a possibility it won't work. However, I would say it's probably your best bet.
Last edited by Manveruon on Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Laothain

Post by Laothain »

Good news next Saturday I'm taking my bow back to my bowyer he's gonna use a combination of epoxy and buffalo sinew. But if it should be needed he'll have a stave ready just to be safe. Thanks for your help and input.
Beornmann

Post by Beornmann »

How did the repair go?

I'm very curious as I thought once a bow cracked, it was done as a weapons and only good for kindling.
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.