Windlass Migration Era Viking Sword

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Arbellason
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Windlass Migration Era Viking Sword

Post by Arbellason »

Well I was feeling the need for another sword to add to the armory and I've had my eye on this one for a little while. It's a windlass Migration Era viking sword from KoA. I have bought Windlass before and they are decent quality for the money... not an Albion sadly but it'll do. I love the scabbard and the etching on the bands though sadly I suck at taking pictures. The balance isn't too bad though I will say the blade is a tad heavy but still very functional. The runes on the blade are inlaid copper and the hilt pieces I believe are cast brass. The "wood spacer" under closer examination appear to be... idk what it is but it isn't wood. The pommel is peened though the grinding job is a little shoddy. The integrated belt is not too bad though I have to wrap it around me twice because 1 am too skinny and 2 the belt is too long. Overall it is not a bad sword though I'll see how it cuts when the snow disappears. This is likely the last blade I will be buying for a while as it appears that I have gotten myself engaged to quite a lovely woman, she even agreed to participating in this hobby with me even though she has a skin allergy to iron.

http://s1374.photobucket.com/user/wmaru ... t=3&page=1

Specifications
Overall length 37" 3/8
Blade: 30 7/8''
Weight: 2 lb 1.5 oz
P.O.B.: 6 1/4''
Thickness: 3.30 mm - 2.66 mm
Width: 50.50 mm
Grip Length: 4 3/8''

Rune inscription: Cattle (reward for defeating the foe), Tyr (god of battle), Yew (supreme natural toughness). The other side of the sword runes are: Game (wily nature), Elk (wild vitality), Man – the one thing that could embody all attributes.
Alone a ranger travels unseen and unheard beware those of dark heart for you will sleep not in comfort while I walk.
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Windlass Migration Era Viking Sword

Post by wulfgar »

Congratulations on both the sword and the engagement!
You can't take the sky from me.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

This is a Del Tin model 2070.
I have the same, it was my first "real" sword.
Nice work on the scabbard.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Arbellason

Post by Arbellason »

Thank you Wulfgar.

Kortoso I think I may have taken what you said the wrong way but this in fact one made by windlass. I can see where the thought comes though I looked up the Del Tin 2070 and they are almost the exact same blade with minor differences.
Mine- http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp ... riod+Sword
The Del Tin- http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp ... +Era+Sword
Alone a ranger travels unseen and unheard beware those of dark heart for you will sleep not in comfort while I walk.
Arbellason

Post by Arbellason »

After further looking it makes me wonder how they actually do compare to each other, the Del Tin is 1" longer and 2 ounces heavier. From what I read they use slightly different steel but from what I have read and what I know from my other Windlass swords it is of good quality. The windlass comes with the scabbard and the neat copper runes inlaid into the fuller. This actually interests me to go buy the Del Tin and compare them :lol:
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Wow, very nearly a dead ringer. Probably a reproduction of the same historical piece.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.