Furoshiki

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Kortoso
Haeropada

Furoshiki

Post by Kortoso »

Even as a ME Ranger, I tend to revert to 21st century techniques, such as gathering herbs and sticking them in a zip-loc bag.
In the old days, people usually used some sort of cloth to wrap things. As a Japanophile, I discovered furoshiki, which is a Japanese practice of wrapping things with cloth. I'm very aware that Middle Earth is not Japan, but this seems to be a preservation of techniques that may have been lost in the west.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W0BajFL6uQ[/youtube]
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
ineffableone
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Furoshiki

Post by ineffableone »

Yes the Japanese cloth folding is pretty cool stuff.

Something to consider is Middle Earth/medieval Europe likely used things like Vellum for wrapping herbs into packets. But I would also imagine ceramic jars or wood jars were commonly used too.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Re: Furoshiki

Post by Kortoso »

Cool! Thanks for the chart.

I'll have to explore vellum.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.