Sword scabbard suspension

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Sword scabbard suspension

Post by Rifter »

A Christian Fletcher Borderwatch. Nice piece.
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
theowl
Vendor

Post by theowl »

Mirimaran wrote:I'd love to see how you set that up! I have a similar baldric that I always thought would work like that.

Ken
I originally had the straps able to pivot via chicago screws (as you can see in the picture) but after a while I noticed that it was more secure if it didn't pivot in the front of the frog, so I stitched it at the optimal balance point (also seen in the picture)
Rifter wrote:A Christian Fletcher Borderwatch. Nice piece.
My pride and joy. Mine has a longer blade and wider guard than the normal one.
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

I was thinking over to get one of those. I am still curious to see what fable blades can do with thoughts on the perfect ranger blade for me which like most will resemble Strider's
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

I love that baldric set-up! Really, a baldric is my favorite way to carry a sword, I just never thought of it as being very "rangery." That being said, I may have to experiment with one of a similar design to yours. This one in particular has a very 17th/18th century feel to it (which is what I use my badrics for), and seems to be very practical. I've actually thought about even attaching a quiver to one as well. To my mind it would be a very stable way to wear one, since the weight of the sword would theoretically cause the whole rig to lay at the proper angle at all times. It would also be relatively easy to make it so the quiver was detachable. And adding straps like yours for a bedroll, etc. would make it into something approaching a "complete" rig.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
theowl
Vendor

Post by theowl »

Whether or not something is "Rangery" is pretty open to interpretation. It's a handy, practical way to carry a weapon, and can be adapted to carry an assortment of other gear, which is pretty rangery. Besides, some of the Ithilien ranger costumes had baldric-esque features. Or at least one of them did. Image

Since taking the photos of mine, I've added my Dunedain star to the shoulder section of the baldric, which exponentially increased the rangerness of the rig.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

theowl wrote:Since taking the photos of mine, I've added my Dunedain star to the shoulder section of the baldric, which exponentially increased the rangerness of the rig.
Haha, can't argue with that.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Arbellason
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Arbellason »

I do not believe anyone posted this method (correct me if I am blind :p) it is a viking method I did not know of before until fiddled around with the strap that came on the sword I recently got and found that it fits over the shoulder allowing the sword to be held upright without dragging across the ground. Hope this opened up some ideas if it had not been posted before.
Note this allows the sword to be worn without a waist belt and can be easily removed allowing one to wear it alone or set it to the side when moving about the camp if you still need to wear your belt but don't want to clunk your sword about on things.
Attachments
Not me obviously but this is how it works
Not me obviously but this is how it works
IMG_0293.jpg (206.98 KiB) Viewed 14605 times
Alone a ranger travels unseen and unheard beware those of dark heart for you will sleep not in comfort while I walk.
RikJohnson

Post by RikJohnson »

Arbellason wrote:I do not believe anyone posted this method (correct me if I am blind :p) it is a viking method I did not know of before until fiddled around with the strap that came on the sword I recently got and found that it fits over the shoulder allowing the sword to be held upright without dragging across the ground. Hope this opened up some ideas if it had not been posted before.
Note this allows the sword to be worn without a waist belt and can be easily removed allowing one to wear it alone or set it to the side when moving about the camp if you still need to wear your belt but don't want to clunk your sword about on things.

I have a Del Tin Viking for which I made a similar scabbard but was unable to actually work out the hanging.

Does your system drive the pommel into your ribs?
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

The Baldric style suspension works well for me since I am a bit rounder than most and I also like to get weight off my belt.
Since I have axes and seaxes on the belt with a few pouches as well I do this baldric hang and put the belt over it keeping the sword from too much movement and shifting while it actually helps hold up my weapons belt. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Ringulf on Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

This is what I use with my Atrim type X. It's simple and effective.
I've suffered through enough battle reenactments with vertically hanging scabbards, with the bruises to show for it. :P
Attachments
DSC00140sm.jpg
DSC00140sm.jpg (177.96 KiB) Viewed 14588 times
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Arbellason

Post by Arbellason »

Here is me wearing it. It does not dig into my ribs btw.

http://s1374.photobucket.com/user/wmaru ... t=3&page=1
Alone a ranger travels unseen and unheard beware those of dark heart for you will sleep not in comfort while I walk.