How do I shim a guard?

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

mcapanelli
Haeropada

How do I shim a guard?

Post by mcapanelli »

Hey all,

Well it seems I've found out how windlass secures the guard on their classic medieval. They just butt the leather wrap against it and hope for the best. I was getting ready to re warp the grip so I pulled the old leather off and SURPRISE, the guard is now loose. Seems the leather riser was holding the whole thing together. Now I have a dilemma. Do I repeen the sword and hope the pressure doesn't crack the grip core or do I just shim the guard. I'm inclined to just shim the guard as the pommel is still nice and tight. So my question is, how do you shim a sword guard?
Winter is coming
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: How do I shim a guard?

Post by Peter Remling »

Mike the easiest way is to start a cord wrap in the space you want the shim . It can be done with either end but I'd prefer to go with the pommel end, less torque when the swords in use. After the cord is tightly bound in place cover if with a non invasive adhesive,. Rubber cement is a good choice as it seals, flexs and can be easily removed in the future. Use a separete piece of string when starting the grip cord wrap.

If you're not doing a cord wrap, then cut multiple small shims out of wood, seal them with just about anything, linseed oil, a clear laquer. Gently tap in the first one until taut not rock solid tight, then do the next on the oposite side, next tap one in 1/4 way from the first , then 1/4 way from the first on the opposite side. If any of you have ever replaced a head gasket, it's the same as useing the torque wrench on your manifold bolts, going from the first to the last in a pattern that applies pressure equally. Finally tap the remaining ones in between the existing ones. File down the excess, brush in some of the rubber cement to hold in place. Do your leather wrap covering the shims and you're done.
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

You know I was thinking it was like that. Thanks Pete, your a saint. On my next trip to Starbucks I'll grab lots of coffee stirrers. Those wood ones make great shims for guitar necks so why not swords. I may do a cord under wrap anyway to be sure everything holds together. It'll make the grip a little thicker but that may not be a bad thing in this case.
Winter is coming
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

That particular sword has a POB a little too far out for my liking, at least the one I had did. Anything that increases the weight hand side of the guard should help bring the POB in a little closer. You might like it out there around the 6 inch mark, I prefer it around 4". Have fun and show pics of the rewrap when done.
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Peter Remling wrote:That particular sword has a POB a little too far out for my liking, at least the one I had did. Anything that increases the weight hand side of the guard should help bring the POB in a little closer. You might like it out there around the 6 inch mark, I prefer it around 4". Have fun and show pics of the rewrap when done.
Thanks so much Pete. It worked like a charm. It didn't really effect the POB in a noticeable way, at least not to me. As for the wrap I have to redo it. The leather came up a little short but I think I've got it figured out now. !4TH times the charm they say. Anyway here's some pics of my first attempt. And by the way thanks for the leather you sent me a while back. I used some of it to wrap this grip.

Winter is coming
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Mike: Looks good! I picked up 1 of the Windlass Type 14 a while ago and so far have stripped off the leather grip and filed down the handle a bit to compensate for the cord wrap I'm going to do.
dwayne davis
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by dwayne davis »

Windlass swords are pretty good for the money. i have owned several, they do tend to make the slit in the cross a bit big, though on their threaded blades it is a bit easier to fix. of course del tin blades aslo tend to have loose crosses as well. nice redo by the way, lookes good.
Last edited by dwayne davis on Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Not all who are old are wise, not all who are young are fools
Where now is the horse and rider? where is the horn that was blowing?
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

jolromir wrote:Windlass swordsare pretty god for the money. i have owned several, they do tend to make the slit in the cross a bit big, though on their threaded blades it is a bit easier to fix. of course del tin blades aslo tend to have loose crosses as well. nice redo by the way, lookes good.
Thanks guys! You've given a confidence boost for the next attempt. I think I know what I did wrong so this time it should come out just like I want it to. Stay tuned.
Winter is coming
dwayne davis
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by dwayne davis »

Hey go for it dude! i have thought about that sword my self. hmmmm thinking again! :mrgreen: of course my UPS driver already lookes at me funny when he pulls up to my home so....
Not all who are old are wise, not all who are young are fools
Where now is the horse and rider? where is the horn that was blowing?