Projects done or under way

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Projects done or under way

Post by Eledhwen »

Figured I'd let folk know what I've been up to over the Winter (aside from snow, ridiculously cold temps, ice, etc).

First up; just completed Friday are these for one of our fellow Rangers:
11/32nds ash shafts spined for 50 to 55#, 125 grain field points, five inch flights, wrapped with artificial sinew, self nocks.

And on the under way bit;
Again, 11/32nd ash shafts. Two are complete save for gluing on the points...the whistler at the top and the blunt at the bottom. The broadhead needs wrapping yet. All have five inch flights in a left helical twist, and are spined for 60 to 65# draw...which I can still do, but no longer all day long. I'll likely have to sell them or something down the line. 28" draw length. The broadhead has an insert at the nock, the others do not.

The horn is my hunting/signal horn...a new one that I got from a fellow in Scotland who gets them from his own cattle. It is nice and thick so scrimshaw will happen to some degree. It yet needs new thongs and a baldric.

The quiver is a Sherwood style which I've already begun to dismantle for extensive modification. This one is only for MER use as there is very little indication that back quivers were used in Europe in the middle ages, although they were used elsewhere in the world.

So, there we go. That last three are my own pieces, not commissions. Once the recipient received the arrows in the first pic we'll find out if I'm really halfway decent at this. I make all my own, but doing them for others is another thing entirely.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Eothain
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Projects done or under way

Post by Eothain »

Very nice stuff! I just recently added a blowing horn to my kit, and am waiting for new arrows to arrive!
...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Love those arrows! Great work, Siani!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I hope so. We shall see once our lad has them in hand, which should be Wednesday. He's the first one I've made arrows for outside of a local group of friends and family so I am keen to get his thoughts and suggestions on them.

It was pointed out to me that my nervousness on this sort of thing is another manifestation of the performance anxiety that often hammers me so badly, usually in music and song. I had not thought of it that way, but I can see the connection.

Yes. I am very nervous. LOL

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Well, they arrived BEAUTIFULLY packed in very robust shipping material. Condition upon arrival was perfect, and to the eye, they are stunning. Superb craftsmanship.

As for function...I can't get my two-year-old to stop wearing my quiver (with them in it) [which is roughly 95% her height, including the arrows sticking out (rather adorable...she looks like a mini Susan Pevensie in her skirt today)] so it may be a little while before I get to shoot them without a meltdown in the background. Perhaps this evening. Foam block's a-waiting.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Glad they arrived intact. :) I hope they perform as expected.

Your daughter is going to make a fine Ranger, I suspect. ;)

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

Fantastic work all round
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'