Made by yours truly

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Made by yours truly

Post by Daerir »

Well toward the end of the year, I decided to make myself an awesome mug out of different woods and well I did :mrgreen:

http://prntscr.com/7a7iqu

Its alternating Walnut and Oak with a walnut handle. I turned the whole thing on a lathe and finished it with epoxy resin on the inside.
An archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong
~Halt, Ranger's Apprentice
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Made by yours truly

Post by Peter Remling »

Very nice.
RikJohnson
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by RikJohnson »

I've always wanted to do something like that but failed consistantly.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Very nicely done! :)

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Wow, that's beautiful! You wouldn't maybe want to give us a little run-through of how you did it, would you?
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

Manveruon wrote:Wow, that's beautiful! You wouldn't maybe want to give us a little run-through of how you did it, would you?
Sure thing!!
Firstly, all that is just the scrap pieces I dug out of the scrap bucket at school. I borrowed the teachers coffee mug he had in his office to draw circles on the scrap pieces. That was my rough sizing. I cut out the circles very very roughly on the band saw and trued them up on the belt sander.

Once I had the discs, I set a walnut aside. I took the rest over to the drill press and just guess-timated the center and drilled a hole out of the disc to shorten lathe time. I probably could have done this a more efficient way but I was just going off what I thought would work, no plans.

After I drilled completely through all the discs save one, I glued them together, lining the holes inside up by feel. Clamped it and let it sit.

While it was drying, I cut out a paper "handle" stencil to trace onto a piece of walnut. I cut it out with a scrollsaw, shaped it better on the belt sander and a spindle sander then rounded the entire handle on the router table with a round-over bit.

After the mug part was dry, I took the entire piece over to the belt sander to make the outside even. I basically made it round on the belt sander but it was only as circular as I could assume. Once there were no ledges between the discs, I put the clamp chuck in the lathe and attached the mug. Using a gouge, I rounded the outside until it was circular.

For the inside I really only used the skew chisel. I would cut into the hole down the center and just thin out the "wall" of the mug. Just keeping at it I eventually got it to the width I desired and moved to sanding. I sanded the outside with 80, then 150, then 220 then did the same to the inside but only with the sandpaper attached to a dowel rod haha.

After it was all sanded, I taped a piece of 80 grit to the outside really tightly and sanded a rounded dip into the parts of the handle that attach to the rest of the mug. I glued it on and clamped it over night.

Once it was all together, I bought epoxy resin to waterproof the inside best. I applied 2 coats to the inside and just used a regular wipe on polyurethane on the outside (3 coats, sanded with steel wool between coats). That was really it. I applied the epoxy resin by spinning it continuously until it was all good and coated then just let the excess settle on the bottom.
An archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong
~Halt, Ranger's Apprentice
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

That's pretty awesome!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Very nicely done my friend that is a mug to be proud of and it would be an awsome peice for that early morning beverage as you scoll through the posts! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen: