New Project: Crossbow Refurbishing!

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

New Project: Crossbow Refurbishing!

Post by Greg »

So I found a wood-stock, metal-limb recurved crossbow at an antique store today. It was 50 bucks, with a 15% discount on that stall in the store, so I'd say I got it for a steal.

It's a solid wood stock with steel bars along the top to keep the cable from messing up the wood and all that jazz. It is NOT a powermaster, so no worries on catastrophic failure and all that crap.

The steel limbs are bolted onto the front with a single beefy wood screw which has stripped the inside of the wood hole, so that bolt needs to be replaced.

I'm guessing that it draws between 120-150 lbs. The latch is incredibly simple, as it's just a lever trigger with a fork to retain the string at the back. No trigger block or bolt spring to hold it down. Very medieval looking, minus the fact that it has a modern rifle stock.

I'm going to post photos later, but here's the gist of what I plan to do to it.

-Drill out the screw hole and replace the wood screw with a larger diameter to hold it appropriately.
-Add some 8-10 oz leather between the limbs and stock to help absorb some shock and keep the stress off of the wood.
-Add a leather handle wrap.
-Wrap part of the limbs in leather to cut down on shine/reflection, after buffing out a few small rust spots.
-Possibly saw off the stock and shape the handle into a more pistol-esque fashion, for a more medieval look and more compact size.
-Add a leather or cord wrap in an X around the limbs and across the front to cover the bolt and give it a more period look.
-Nail two swivels onto the stock to add a leather carrying strap
-Make some bolts with 3rivers large bodkins
-Woodburn some elvish scrollwork and runes into the sides

Any thoughts? Pics are on the way!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: New Project: Crossbow Refurbishing!

Post by Peter Remling »

If it has a cocking stirup, attach your shoulder strap to it and the butt, cuts down on the unsightly holes. I made leather sleeves for the limbs of one crossbow. If the covers are cut and stitch holes are made before, you can stitch them up without have to remove the prod. If you do have to remove it a simple bow stringer can be made from a piece of parachute cord. How's the string? Many bow shops will made custom strings even for crossbows, just ask your local shop.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

My local bow shop only deals in compounds, so I'll have to do some research. The current string is a steel cable, which is going to be replaced.

There isn't a cocking stirrup; at some point, I'll probably have one of our resident blacksmiths make me one.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

Wow great find, I wanted to see about making a very small hand crossbow that would shoot dart size bolts. So I cant wait to see the pics for some ideas.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Sound like a great find and a great project, Greg! Looking forward to those pics!
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"