Eating Supplies

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Eating Supplies

Post by Daerir »

I made a trip to the thrift shop and I found a few cake pans that will serve as bowl/plates. I also found these neato forks with three long prongs and I thought they looked semi medieval so I picked them up. I have three plates and a fork and spoon for each. What do you all think? (I still need to wash them lol)

An archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong
~Halt, Ranger's Apprentice
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Eating Supplies

Post by wulfgar »

Looks good. Do you know if the cake pan is aluminum or steel? If it's steel it can double as a frying pan. I guess aluminum could double too, but food sticks to aluminum alot in my opinion, plus I just don't like cooking in it.
You can't take the sky from me.
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

Oh, and if you do use the plate as a frying pan, you really don't need much more than a boiler/cup.
You can't take the sky from me.
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

I did the magnet test and they are aluminum
An archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong
RikJohnson
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by RikJohnson »

I love thrift storesas you can find all sorts of treasures there.
And if not, a little imagination will convert what you find into what you want.

For example, if you have a grinder, you can take the handle of those wonderful 3-tine forks down to something more period.
And, eventually, you will find the steel plate you want.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

I was bored the other day and decided that I liked the look of a 2 prong fork over a 3 so I cut off the middle prong to give it a better look and got rid of the jagged edge afterward

http://prntscr.com/7ldkdc
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Good start! It's really cool that you're modding things to fit.

I bet an SCA armorer (or even a youTube video) could give you some pointers of beating the pie pan into a medieval-looking handmade pan with a treestump and a hammer. :)

(Aluminum is interesting - we think of it as cheap industrial stuff now, but back in the day it was a super expensive wonder metal. If I recall correctly, Napoleon had a dining set of the stuff, which was jawdropping at the time )
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

I liked them for the high walls and because they are pie pans, I presume that they are safe to cook with so I want to figure out some way to make a detachable handle for them to cook with them and eat from them.