Raudrefer~a Belt Seax

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Ringulf
Naugothrain

Raudrefer~a Belt Seax

Post by Ringulf »

I was given a commision from one of my Thrown Weapons Rangers in the SCA, for a belt knife. She has a Norse persona and Holds the Red Fox as her particular Fylgia.
Having a few tips left from some of the 18" Cold Steel Seax machetes, I thought this would be a great opportunity to use one.
She said she wanted it to be kinda meaty even if it were small, so I used a thick deer antler almost as wide as the blade and cast in place the bolster and the seperation between the decorative pummle and the antler.. I also cast a flat back plate to carve some runes in.
The Decorative pummel is a primative looking cast fox I picked up at Hobby Lobby (It was a drawer pull and I filled the small amount of the body that was not solid with the silver solder as well.)
The sheath is 5-6oz veggie tan tooling leather and was dyed to match her primary outfits in red, yellow and green. I came up with the little antler button belt loops because I had taken a bunch of my extra antler bits and cut as many buttons as possible (I hate to waste anything that an animal has sacrificed)
So this is a chunky little Belt seax for Hildr Raudrefer (red fox in Old Norse)

I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Straelbora
Haeropada

Re: Raudrefer~a Belt Seax

Post by Straelbora »

Nice!
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I just posted the rest of the pics for the Redfox seax and Wolfreach on my devient art page.

http://mica1323.deviantart.com/

soon to follow a few more knives, some beard combs and a new pipe! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Wow! So awesome, great job as usual :) dang our Ranger group needs a Spring Faire or something :) looking forward to more of your wares, Master Dwarf :)

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Eothain
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Eothain »

That thing looks HEFTY! I really like the fox head pommel and runes up the spine of the handle! Keep up the great work Ringulf!
...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Very nice work! The small details make that a work of art.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.