HORN VAMBRACE

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

RikJohnson
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

HORN VAMBRACE

Post by RikJohnson »

While looking for some cowhorn to tip my longbow, I was given a single longhorn, I was able to cut the point for my longbow, then began to section the longer part to make horn-boxes. I am currently working on those, wood base and cork-&-wood lid.

As for that long section, I thought… vambrace!

So I cut it to length, sectioned it, drilled holes and began to look into a strap. I hate using those laces which are a pain to use solo, though I can see their value over time. Then my dog got hold of the horn and forced me to reshape it a bit.

I originally planned to add three buckles, then changed that and am considering actual lacings (plus the buckle) in case I need to wear it over time. The buckle cane form a rapier belt I dismantled and it is sewn to the horn using artificial sinew I bought from 3-Rivers. It is a bit tight but I can reshape it as I use it and see where the parts bite.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Re: HORN VAMBRACE

Post by Ringulf »

Great idea Rik!
Did you reshape the horns curve or did you fit it to your arm as it curved naturaly? I have been working with some techniques for flexing the horn, that my mentor is showing me and we are making some horn spoons. The Archery brace would be a great use of the material! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
RikJohnson
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by RikJohnson »

Ringulf wrote:Great idea Rik!
Did you reshape the horns curve or did you fit it to your arm as it curved naturaly? I have been working with some techniques for flexing the horn, that my mentor is showing me and we are making some horn spoons. The Archery brace would be a great use of the material! :mrgreen:
I was fortunate in that the horn was about 2 feet long so i used the section that mostly fit.
I am aware that it is possible to boil horn to soften and shape but I lack that knowledge and was afraid to ruin my only horn playing around.

Strange as Arizona being an open range state, you'd think that it would be so easy to find cow horns anywhere.

I did have a horn spoon but it delaminated after a year and I have no idea of how to prevent that.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

When I learn a bit more about it I will pass it along here.
We use lard in a crock pot and the temp must be very precise, determined by the thickness of the horn. the time emersed is a function of the thickness as well. I will not speculate on any particulars at this point but will sum it up when I get a bit better at it.
The delamination also does not surprise me but that has more to do with the particular horn than the process and every horn is unique. The health and age of the animal and the effects of food and weather will cause the horns to grow in various layers some very dense and some having actual voids between layers almost like osmosis blisters in fiberglass. We have to use many of the same detection methods as marine surveyors just to select a proper horn for carving. :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen: