Extremely Lucid explanations of Lotr Topics

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Ringulf
Naugothrain

Extremely Lucid explanations of Lotr Topics

Post by Ringulf »

Extremly lucid and somewhat flippent, but mixed with a bit of modern humor. I did actually find these Youtube vids very interesting. give them a watch and see what you think. Like them or hate them, the guy is pretty accurate and I must admit gave me more in 10 minutes (2 vids) than I had learned in 20 years. :mrgreen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxgsxaFWWHQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKU0qDpu3AM
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Laothain
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Extremely Lucid explanations of Lotr Topics

Post by Laothain »

they were interesting and even though I knew what he said before hand. I will say this though its a good way to explain the Lord of the Rings in short order.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Nice and concise, I liked them.
robinhoodsghost
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by robinhoodsghost »

I liked them because, I never could get through Tolkien's Silmarillion....loved the THE LORD OF THE RINGS, liked the THE HOBBIT...but was bored to tears when trying to read THE SILMARILLION. Personally, I didn't need that much back story into the origins of the world..... to me ALIEN is better without PROMETHEUS....But hey, to each his own.
In the darkest part of Sherwoods glade, in the thickest part of the wood, there are those who say, can still be seen, the ghost of Robin Hood.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Very cool summaries! The narrator sounds familiar.. I think he does a history series on youTube as well?

I always loved the Sil - but it's a story that needs to be heard, not read. The formal language is near impenetrable on the page, but spoken? Poetry.
This fall try getting a fire going, get a kettle on or even mull some wine, settle on the sofa, and set the audiobook playing in the background.
Close your eyes, and imagine that's a bard reciting the lines of the old stories...

Heaven. :D
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Elleth wrote:Very cool summaries! The narrator sounds familiar.. I think he does a history series on youTube as well?

I always loved the Sil - but it's a story that needs to be heard, not read. The formal language is near impenetrable on the page, but spoken? Poetry.
This fall try getting a fire going, get a kettle on or even mull some wine, settle on the sofa, and set the audiobook playing in the background.
Close your eyes, and imagine that's a bard reciting the lines of the old stories...

Heaven. :D
Oh what a wonderful idea, your discriptive instructions paint a sensuous picture of a perfect evening!
BTW I saw several full legnth (I believe) audios of the Silmarilion right on the Youtube page that showed these little clips. :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I love the Silmarillion. I have read it at least once a year for decades. :)

Knowing the lore has always been an interest of mine, and I have an especial interest in the 1st & 2nd Ages. Beleriand calls to me, it's forests and hidden places. Numenore calls even more strongly, that star-shaped island within far-sight of the Blessed Realm.

Don't get me wrong, the 3rd Age and all that goes with it is awesome stuff, obviously, but the Silamrillion hooked me hard, I have to say.

I haven't looked at the links up there, but I read the books, and the Histories, constantly, as well as some fan stuff like 'Isildur'. Don't really need explanations or summaries myself, but I can see where others might find them useful.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!