Swords of Far Harad?

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eric C
Vendor

Swords of Far Harad?

Post by Eric C »

Okay, so I've got a piece of steel laying around that is screaming to become a sword. I was thinking of something different for this one. I've come up with a back story that I will write as the blade is forged. I will say that the sword comes from Far Harad. It was the property of a powerful young prince.

So what - in your opinions - are we looking at for the weapons of the Haradrim? Would it be a scimitar-like sword (which is the direction I am leaning), or do you envision something else? Did the good Doctor leave any documentation on the matter that I should consult?

Cheers,
Eric
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Re: Swords of Far Harad?

Post by Eledhwen »

I have a shamshir, Cold Steel version, which I use when doing a Ranger lurking about in Far Harad.

Shamshir, scimitar, tulwar, even straight blades...if you look at the blades used by the Turks and Fatamids during the crusades, especially early on, most of them had straight blades.

I prefer the curved Shamshir to represent a Haradrim weapon, but that's me. That, and I have one. ;)

Eledhwen/Saaba (in Far Harad)
Nandalad!
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Thanks. You've given me a little more to research as I prepare for this project. I'm trying not to give away too much here, but I'll be trying some new techniques on this blade. I'll document the build when it starts, but there are some pieces I need to pick up after I sell a blade or two.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Do I smell Mammoth inlays, this would be the perfect time to use Oliphant tusk.

I like tulwars or shamshirs myself but, a large Kyber knife would work also.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Peter Remling wrote:Do I smell Mammoth inlays, this would be the perfect time to use Oliphant tusk.

I like tulwars or shamshirs myself but, a large Kyber knife would work also.
Hmm, I was thinking of something else for a handle, but you're right! Maybe I'll look into that. That little bag of mammoth ivory has been tempting me for years.
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Yes! While Tolkien details the armour and decorations of the Haradrim/Southrons/Swertings, as far as I can find, this is the only mention of their arms, aside from "spears" and a "sword" in TTT:

“Southward beyond the road lay the main force of the Haradrim, and there their horsemen were gathered about the standard of their chieftain. And he looked out, and in the growing light he saw the banner of the king, and that it was far ahead of the battle with few men about it. Then he was filled with a red wrath and shouted aloud, and displaying his standard, black serpent upon scarlet, he came against the white horse and the green with great press of men; and the drawing of the scimitars of the Southrons was like a glitter of stars.”
(The Lord of the Rings, Book V The War of the Ring, Chapter 6: The Battle of the Pelennor Fields: 112-113).

When thinking about the southern reaches of Middle-earth, it seems that the Men of Near Harad were more-or-less brown-skinned, while those of Far Harad were black-skinned. It depends on your interpretation of how Middle-earth relates to our Primary World (and what exactly counts as 'Far' Harad--how far south do you want to go?), but if you want your blade to be from the Far Harad, you might want to look into curved swords used by African peoples. Perhaps it's just me, but I think your typical Ottoman-type scimitar just feels too recent to qualify for Middle-earth use; I try to keep stuff on the BCE side of things.
The shotel is an ancient Ethiopian curved sword...and I think 'Abyssinia' is probably the furthest south that one should consider drawing influence from--Sauron's influence probably shouldn't have extended to like, South Africa.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

The shotel is a very interesting sword. I don't think I'm up to heat treating something like that yet. Thanks for the reference. It helps with the design of this thing. Then again, the orcs are said to have used scimitars, and we see what Jackson's orc blades looked like. Rough weapon. But I'm not Jackson. :wink:
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

The trouble with the word 'scimitar' is that it can be, and has been, applied to a wide variety of often very different blades. About the one thing they've had in common is being curved in some way.

The Khyber Knife is good, Tulwar, Shamshir, Shashka, all very iconic.

I have always seen Far Harad as more Persian/Indian/Arabian personally, the Corsairs of Umbar being more akin to the Barbary pirates and such. Probably because on a map of Arda Far Harad is Southeast of Gondor. Never really thought it out, but that is probably at least one reason I have seen them this way.

Easterlings I have always associated with Central Asian types...war wagons, cavalry, that sort of thing. Turks, Sarmatians, Alans, Mongols, etc.

That is how I have always seen them from reading the books. Influences from all of those cultures.

Eledhwen
Last edited by Eledhwen on Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nandalad!
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Eledhwen wrote:The trouble with the word 'scimitar' is that it can be, and has been, applied to a wide variety of often very different blades. About the one thing they've had in common is being curved in some way.

The Khyber Knife is good, Tulwar, Shamshir, Shashka, all very iconic.

I have always seen Far Harad as more Persian/Indian/Arabian personally, the Corsairs of Umbar being more akin to the Barbary pirates and such. Probably because on a map of Arda Far Harad is Southwest of Gondor. Never really thought it out, but that is probably at least one reason I have seen them this way.

Easterlings I have always associated with Central Asian types...war wagons, cavalry, that sort of thing. Turks, Sarmatians, Alans, Mongols, etc.

That is how I have always seen them from reading the books. Influences from all of those cultures.

Eledhwen
Good observations. This is going to become quite the research topic. But anything worth doing is worth doing right.

Thanks for all of the comments so far!
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I have a fairly nice scimitar that came into my posession that I plan on giving a facelift. It is a bit heavy but well balanced for all that and the heft feels like it can truly enhance the cut and slice of such a finely curved blade.
I will see what I can do with it, We Southern Ithilian Rangers come in contact with all manner of Southrons, Corsairs, and Black Numenorian ilk, so it would not be too far fetched to assume such a peice as spoils of war. :mrgreen:

I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Nice piece. Can't wait to see what you do with it. As long as it isn't covered in black speech, I could see a ranger picking it up as a war trophy and using it.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I have a "Saracen" bow and now this. I could be moving toward the BBC Robinhood interpretation! LOL :mrgreen:

(Maybe I can find a little Saracen buckler and complete the set!)
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

I have this hefty Khyber knife that would be a good choice.
You can't take the sky from me.