Gah! What're y'all using for archery targets?

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Gah! What're y'all using for archery targets?

Post by Elleth »

After finishing housework and projects yesterday, I finally got out to do some archery practice. Which was great until I finished the session with some "shoot quickly on the move" play, and had a couple near misses whisper past the top of the haybale into the hayfield.

... and there went more coin than I want to think about in arrows lost. :(

Because (aging) haybales are such a pain to move, I'd been just using some stacked on the edge of the hayfield.
As I've learned, that's just obviously not going to work well if I'm going to have any misses at all.

I think my options are to find some kind of moveable (fabric?) backstop, or break down and buy/build a proper moveable target that I can place well back in the short grass so I'm more likely to find any misses.

What sort of solutions to the losing-arrows-problem have y'all been using? I'd like to figure this out while I'm still only (mostly) losing commercial arrows, and not nice handmade recreations.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
RikJohnson
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Gah! What're y'all using for archery targets?

Post by RikJohnson »

The local ranges, including the 'walking-path-hunting' trails all use stacks of carpet strips (12-36") bound with steel straps.
I hate pulling my shafts from these so I cruise craigslist for used foam targets.... cheap.

I hang those over the range target or stick it on a plastic barrel in my yard.

I also try to hang a heavy blanket or comforter behind my target in my yard to catch arrows that miss target. Since I get the blanket from a yard sale, cheap, it is no loss to damage them.
Pity I cannot do that at a range<g>.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

I use a Wal-Mart dog food bag, stuffed full of Wal-Mart and other plastic grocery sacks. Just keep packing them in there until you reach the desired density, leave enough room at the top to tie the big bag shut and tie it off to a stake.. Very cheap, recycled materials, holds up very well.
You can't take the sky from me.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

I bought a target today, cheap I thought, then I brought it home and discovered that it's all closed cell foam!
At work, we throw away more big chunks of closed cell foam than I am comfortable admitting to. So when I get back to work, you bet I am going to bet hunting for scrap!
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.