New Ranger boot knife in the works

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Material options for new boot knife

Cocobolo
12%
Purple Heart
12%
Walnut
76%

Total votes: 17
Eric C
Vendor

Re: New Ranger boot knife in the works

Post by Eric C »

Well, without trying to push faith here- that's against the rules and I won't do it :wink: - I pray before I even put a fire in my forge. So I don't take all the credit for my abilities.

As for touchmarks: If I can get a guy to pick up a knife and pay for it, I am going to get a touchmark made. There is a guy near here that may be able to do it. But I have to find his new e-mail addy.

I'll be happy to make BBOWC (Big Brother Of Wolf Claw :lol: ). Just let me know when you are ready.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

I'll be happy to make BBOWC (Big Brother Of Wolf Claw ). Just let me know when you are ready.

Roger that 8)
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Good news: The guy picked up the knife today. I gave him a substantial rebate in exchange for some meat from his hunts this year. I need to stock a freezer. 8) He gave me another commission.

Bad news: The guy I thought could possibly make a touchmark can't. But I am going to Harbor Freight tomorrow to pick up a cheap set of stamps to put a mark into the knives. I can get a touchmark made by McMaster-Carr, but that's down the road. At least I will be able to mark my knives. That's the important thing. I will have updated pics of the boot/belt knife tomorrow sometime. I am hoping the knife will be done then. I'll have a new question about it then.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Okay, as promised, here are the update pics. She's finished! Let's see if I can post these individually without reposting the entire album.

http://picasaweb.google.com/ecart1970/R ... 2142307170

http://picasaweb.google.com/ecart1970/R ... 5003547218

http://picasaweb.google.com/ecart1970/R ... 7405802130

http://picasaweb.google.com/ecart1970/R ... 1720675474

And for the question, which I think I've answered myself. I was wondering if I should just make a single seamed molded wrap around sheath, or since this is experimental, make a matching walnut scabbard with some matching carving. I think I'll probably just go with the leather sheath.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Eric, PM sent!
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

And received. I'll be responding in minutes. :mrgreen:
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

Wow looks great.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I love the shape of the handle. That bevel near the guard looks awesome!

You...you DO accept commissions, don't you ;) ?

You can expect a PM from me in a short while. I LOVE that design.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

[quote="Greg" You...you DO accept commissions, don't you ;) ?

You can expect a PM from me in a short while. I LOVE that design.[/quote]

Thanks guys. I look forward to making this design again very soon. But then it will have a true hidden tang. That's my biggest gripe about the knife.

Greg, I accept commissions as long as the knife isn't too complicated. Still working on those skills, ya know.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

I have been planning to post specs on this knife, but haven't gotten around to it yet. So before it gets too old, here are the stats.
OAL: 12"
Blade Length:6 1/2"
Blade width: 1 1/2" just in front of the ricasso.
Blade thickness: 3/16"
Material: Circular Saw steel.

Handle: Sandwiched walnut with epoxy and brass screws from Pop's Knife Supply.
Finished with 3 coats of tung oil and - so far-one coat of Butcher's wax. It is 1" wide at the bolster.
Bolster is made from 1/4" thick angle iron.

I thought the thick handle was going to be a problem, but this knife feels pretty good in the hand. The back is flat and lends itself well to placing the thumb on the back if needed.

So, I think that's it pretty much. Thanks for all the comments. Hope to have a sheath made for this one before too long.