First Annual Ranger Photo Contest - 2009

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

First Annual Ranger Photo Contest - 2009

Post by Greg »

Disclaimer: I titled it "first annual" because it sounded cool, and for NO other reason. I am in no way obligated to do this again...*chuckles*

Alright, Rangers! We've been talking about Rangery photo shoots off and on for months now. It's time to get to it!

Here's how it's going to work:

There will be seven categories, and a winner will be selected from each. I will judge, simply because I am supplying the prize.

The categories are as follows:

"At Camp"
"Hunting"
"On the Trail"
"Ready for Battle"
"After Battle"
"At the Prancing Pony"
"Miscellaneous"

Each category is intended to be self-explanatory, but completely open to your interpretation. Photos will be judged based on photo quality (no points off if you simply don't have a very good camera), photo-realism, and how well I think you've captured the essence of the category. The goal is to take a photo, if possible while trekking or in the great outdoors, that you would title as one of the categories, so this is the most important part. Miscellaneous is up to your own discretion. Anything you like that doesn't fit into the rest, or fits into one, but you have another for that one already, etc. Also, if you take a picture you like better than a previous submission for a category, feel free to post again to replace it. At the end of the judging time, however, you may only have one submission PER CATEGORY. Please label your photos clearly so I know what category each is for, and which one is your final choice for a given category.

Photoshopping/editing of pictures is allowed, so long as it is simply used to enhance the image. I, for example, might edit a hawk into one of my photos, but that does not change the overall look of the photo. I might darken an image to make it seem somewhat more ominous, but that does not change the overall theme of the image. However, if I have taken a picture of myself that I really like, but it's in front of my car, I may not photoshop myself onto another background. However, if I have a really good photo in an awesome setting, but want to add some smoke or want to change or add something to the background, that is acceptable. Only small changes or thematic additions, please. This is still photography, at the end of it all. Feel free to use makeup (one might rub dirt of my face, etc.) additional props, you name it. Get as creative as you possibly can! I'm hoping to take a trip in the next couple of weeks to take some fresh photos to help encourage your creativity along.

A winner will be selected from each category. From that group of seven, a winner will be chosen. That winner gets a set of custom-made arrows made by yours truly. Depending on how money goes, that set will either be three, six, or twelve. I'm aiming for at least half a dozen, but regardless of the number, they'll be spined to your draw weight, cut to your draw length, stained, sealed, fletched, and wound according to your specs using traditional cut 5.5" turkey feathers and linen upholstery thread on self-nocked port orford cedar.

Competition starts upon my posting, and judging stops at 12:00 am, January 14th, 2009, PST. You have several months.

Be creative! I'll be posting some of my own photos for each category as I go out as well, but not until AFTER the contest, so I'm not giving away what my personal photographic preferences are. NO inside information *chuckles*! Wait until it snows, if you want to bring something new to the table! Make it interesting! I only ask that you not post ANY photos that are already on Andy's site or this forum. They should be taken during the contest time.

Enjoy, and good luck!

-Greg
Last edited by Greg on Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:37 am, edited 11 times in total.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Re: "First Annual" Ranger Photo Contest

Post by Mirimaran »

Cool idea Greg! I will try to get some pics at the Ren faire next weekend!
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Now this, fellow rangers, in WMA terms is "fighting in the Vor"! excellent initiative, Greg! 8)
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Greg

Post by Greg »

Thanks for the support!

I've added a few things to the guidelines in my first post that you'll probably want to read. I'd really like everyone to get involved in this if possible. If you are in contact with any of the members who haven't been active in awhile, like Odigan, Pwyll, etc...please feel encouraged to email them. I don't want to have to have people winning more than one category, and I'd love to have a large pool of photos to sort through.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

I'm lurking on this thread. . . and plotting. :twisted:
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Here's a photo of four of a recently finished set of arrows for myself, to entice you all into getting out there, trekking, and taking photos. Again, stain, feather color, thread color, and spine weight are all up to you, so they will be completely custom! These arrows I'm shooting are spined 55-60#, and are drilling four to eight inch groups at 20 yards. Don't wanna brag, but in my opinion, these are simply perfect ranger arrows. I haven't wrapped over the actual fletching before, as I prefer to only wrap the front, back, and nock, but I can try if you'd like.

Greg

Post by Greg »

Update time:

I've been thinking about things a bit, and I've decided to remove the "Miscellaneous" category and replace it with "At the Prancing Pony" to see how creative you all can get with this.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Has anyone entered yet? Are we off and running on this? I'm still putting something together.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Greg

Post by Greg »

All entries are to be posted here, so no one's entered yet, to my knowledge. There's still a month between now and when the contest ends, but it's only a month, so get out there and take your photos, people! Unless, of course, you want our dear friend Eric here to recieve 5 fishing sets and a bundle of arrows for taking a photo...

;)
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Ok, I really want to see an example LOL because I feel kinda stiff. Silly, I know, but bear with me. I'd made alot of kit and garb this year and want to stage some good shots.
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Chris Russo
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Chris Russo »

Been brainstorming about some ideas--hopefully I'll get to try some out next weekend. (Oh how I wish this contest lasted until February, so I could take advantage of huge chunks of time off...)
"If you bring a Ranger with you, it is well to pay attention to him."
Greg

Post by Greg »

If we lack severely in participation, I'll extend it, but February might be stretching it a bit much. We'll see, though.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

As a few of brothers will be up Thanksgiving I'm planning on hijacking some for a photo shoot in a nearby park.
Frothgar
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Frothgar »

i am definately working on this. i have most of my photos blocked out, just a matter of getting out there and taking the shots.

unfortunately i shaved the other day, so i need to wait a little till i have something that could be called a beard.

Later,
Frothgar
Civilization, it seems, prepared one to live, but not to survive.
-Cimmerian proverb
Greg

Post by Greg »

Glad to hear you all are still planning on participating!

I haven't decided until when yet, but there is most likely going to be a deadline extension...but don't use that as an excuse to procrastinate! You can ALWAYS re-post new pics to replace your old ones!