New bow! To me

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eric C
Vendor

New bow! To me

Post by Eric C »

Today was a particularly rough day at work. We all have those now and then. So I was glad to call it quits when the time came. I picked up my wife and kids from their different places and headed home. When I got here, there was a crooked tube on my porch. I opened it and it was a bow with a nice note inside from Taurinor! It is not totally period, but it is mostly what I am looking for. I'll do some mods to it to make it more Middleearthy.

There wasn't a string though. I'll have to locate a source for a string.

So anyway, there will be pics when I get home with enough light outside to take them. Perhaps Friday.

Thanks again Taurinor for your very thoughtful gift.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: New bow! To me

Post by Elleth »

Wow - very cool! That's so sweet!

I see several folks are making Flemish Twist strings on Etsy for not much money at all, if you're in the market. One of several listings:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/226662086/ ... ow-strings
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

How exciting! Can't wait to see pictures!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Very thoughtful. I love watching how different relationships with forum members become after having met.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Elleth wrote:Wow - very cool! That's so sweet!

I see several folks are making Flemish Twist strings on Etsy for not much money at all, if you're in the market. One of several listings:
Thanks for the link. I'll have to check into it very soon. I also have an idea for some shooting gloves.
Manveruon wrote:How exciting! Can't wait to see pictures!
I can't wait to get some pics. My wife actually shot a video but I haven't watched it. I may post it. We'll see.
Greg wrote:Very thoughtful. I love watching how different relationships with forum members become after having met.
He is a great guy. He helped to make the ranger moot really fun and enjoyable.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

A noble gift Taurinor!

Enjoy, Eric.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Aw, shucks! Making me blush :mrgreen:
Elleth wrote:I see several folks are making Flemish Twist strings on Etsy for not much money at all, if you're in the market. One of several listings:
Wow, I didn't know they were so inexpensive! Thanks for the link; I may need to replace the string on one of my longbows soon. Ringing Rocks Archery on Etsy also makes flemish twist bowstrings for not much money.

Eric, if you're near Garner in the near future, Cabela's carries dacron strings for recurves and longbows for $15.
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Greg wrote:Very thoughtful. I love watching how different relationships with forum members become after having met.
Just one of many reasons I would love to meet more forumites in person!

As for Ringing Rocks, I must say, a lot of the stuff I've seen from them has bee surprisingly nice for the price, but the "Flemish twist" string that came on my friend Bryan's bow was... dubious at best. The loops were poorly formed, and it was not served at all. That being said, it was kind of a "starter string" so maybe the other ones they sell are better. Worst case, if you buy one and it's not great, at least they're quite inexpensive.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Manveruon wrote:As for Ringing Rocks, I must say, a lot of the stuff I've seen from them has bee surprisingly nice for the price, but the "Flemish twist" string that came on my friend Bryan's bow was... dubious at best. The loops were poorly formed, and it was not served at all. That being said, it was kind of a "starter string" so maybe the other ones they sell are better. Worst case, if you buy one and it's not great, at least they're quite inexpensive.
Thanks for the info! Get what you pay for, I suppose...
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Taurinor wrote:Aw, shucks! Making me blush :mrgreen:

Eric, if you're near Garner in the near future, Cabela's carries dacron strings for recurves and longbows for $15.
Once I get my car inspected, I may have to take a trip to Garner. I also realized last night that I have no arrows that are spined for 45 pounds. Don't know how well 40 pound arrows would do for it.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

The difference between 40# and 45# spine weights is marginal. The difference between 60# and 65# is greater. Where you're at, if you have field points on, odds are they're 125 grain points. The spine will determine how much the arrow flexes under that amount of pressure from the string; the arrow will be plenty heavy enough to not create a dry fire situation, so feel free (and safe) to shoot them. From ten yards, shoot carefully and consistently every single time, aiming at the same place (don't try to adjust if the arrows aren't going where you think they should) and watch where they group. Well spined arrows will group about center, and under-weight arrows will flex TOO much, and group to the right (assuming a right-handed shooter, resting the arrow on the left side of the bow). To remedy this, assuming your 40# arrows are under-weight, you can 'stiffen' them by changing out the points for lighter ones (ie. glue on some 100 gr. points instead of 125's), or you can shorten the arrows slightly if you have, say, more than an inch of wood sticking past the back of the bow when at full draw. To do this, you'll simply remove the point, cut off, say, 1/2" of the tip, and re-taper the tip before gluing the point back on. If you see a difference, but not quite enough of one, you can rinse and repeat until they're centering more nicely, or until you don't have enough length to shorten them anymore.

This works best on bare shafts, where the subtle differences are exaggerated, so needed adjustments are more easily deduced, but fletched arrows still show signs of improper spining. Play with it, and see how it goes. Questions welcome.

Considering the weights you're dealing in, I'm pretty confident, though, that your 40# spined arrows will shoot fine out of what you have. Most arrows bought in sets have some margin for error in their spine weights, and I've found over the years that they tend to err on the stiff side.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.