Numenorean design motifs

For discussion of Dunedain culture, what it might have looked like and how it worked.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Straelbora
Haeropada

Re: Numenorean design motifs

Post by Straelbora »

Not sure if it's a coincidence, but the Numenorean art reminds me a lot of Minoan art. And wasn't a popular (though now mostly discredited) theory in the first half of the 20th century that the Minoan Greek civilization was the origin of the Atlantis myth?
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Udwin wrote:I'd be scared to think about how much the client paid for it.
I'm scared as well...but for some reason, unreasonably motivated/undeterred.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

WOWZERS, that is GORGEOUS! Man, if I had the money I would TOTALLY put one of these in my living room! I'm also surprised at just how aesthetically pleasing the final result is, given that I've always felt the Professor's designs were a little busy, to say the least. But yeah, it totally works!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

So I've been thinking of Numenorian motifs of late. I still think it's a perfect foundation to start with, but the more I contemplate them, the more... out of place it seems to be using unaltered motifs from thousands of years previous in the late Third Age. And many have a mediterranean feel that doesn't perfectly translate to the more northwest European vibe of Eriador.

And so I've been contemplating recently about "evolving" them..

This is a first stab, inspired by Udwin's fantastic leaf ornaments on my Yulemath Spoon. (yay! :lol: )
The original foundation of the arc motif is there (top bar), but they've been filled in a bit to form leaves(bottom bar).
I'm not sold on this particular pattern yet - it still feels a little too Mediterranean - but it's the direction I'm starting to think.
merf-dunedain-ornament-01.jpg
merf-dunedain-ornament-01.jpg (49.17 KiB) Viewed 33785 times
For another look, here's some sketches by the Professor himself:
merf-tolkien-flowers.jpg
merf-tolkien-flowers.jpg (19.38 KiB) Viewed 33795 times
You can see some of the same "DNA" there as it's by the same hand, but it's pushed in a more "medieval manuscript page decoration" direction, like this historical example:
merf-medieval-illumination-flower.jpg
merf-medieval-illumination-flower.jpg (24.31 KiB) Viewed 33795 times

Thoughts?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Love it! And i think you're headed in the right direction! I agree with your logic here too, though I'm definitely more of a layperson than many here in terms of the fullness of Middle-earth culture.
In any case though, I feel like medieval vinework in various illuminations is a great place to look for inspiration, and it has a real feeling of connection to some of the vinework Tolkien drew.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Aaaaand I think I got a good one!
dunedain-third-age-repeating-pattern.gif
dunedain-third-age-repeating-pattern.gif (12.36 KiB) Viewed 33753 times
The leaf motif owes a lot to both Udwin and Cedarlore Forge, but the arc DNA is all Professor.
I think it'll work out well. :)
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

LOVE how that came out! Of course, I may be biased, because I an extremely partial to Cedalore's designs, and you're right; this certainly evokes that style.
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Nice one! I DIG it!
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Year-old necropost, but it's a worth it....I have goodies for you all!
My local public library has a copy of the book that accompanied the recent Tolkien exhibit. I combed it yesterday for juicy bits, and found this!
From p.195, a collection of 'Numenorean patterns', circa 1960. The editor thinks they "look like designs for brooches or clasps", I'll let you decide. Enjoy!
Attachments
NumPat.jpg
NumPat.jpg (215.94 KiB) Viewed 30973 times
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Cool find :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Looks like rejected cover art for C.S. Lewis's "Out of the Silent Planet"...

WEIRD.

...but cool!

At least they're fairly consistent in style to the Numenorean Helmet/Headpiece art we already have.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Udwin wrote:Year-old necropost, but it's a worth it....I have goodies for you all!
My local public library has a copy of the book that accompanied the recent Tolkien exhibit. I combed it yesterday for juicy bits, and found this!
From p.195, a collection of 'Numenorean patterns', circa 1960. The editor thinks they "look like designs for brooches or clasps", I'll let you decide. Enjoy!
Yup, saw that it in the local bookstore. It's rather upset my classification scheme. As it was in a bookstore I didn't feel like it was appropriate to pull out my camera. Thanks for doing the work for me!
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

I don’t care for this style. And it doesn’t fit with his other Numenorean stuff. I’ve decided that for my head canon, this is a Black Numenorean style. And it does kinda look like the Mordor Special Missions Flying Corps logo.

On the other hand, it does cement (ugly) interlace as a Numeonrean style as hinted by the carpet mentioned in The Lost Road.
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

I think I rather like that interpretation Caedmon.

As much as I love the charming nature of his other doodles, I'm not partial to this aesthetic either. Too jangly and chaotic.
I wonder when he did them? They certainly have an early-mid-1960's mod feel to me.

Regarding the carpet: my memory is that was brought to Middle-earth by the Faithful? Is that the case?
If so, I'd *expect* it to be in a more traditional style, but sentiment and shared roots could account for the similarity just as well.
kleenur
Wanderer

Post by kleenur »

I have been thinking about what sort of white start to put on my garb, specifically for the chest of my eventual tunic, and eventual armor. For the most part I am leaning towards a 6 point version because to my eye the island of Numenor looks like it has six points. To my way of thinking a culture that so clearly revere's their ancestors (as noted by the genealogical focus), would want their symbology to reflect their roots. In this case they are descended from Numenor, which if you count the tiny little bit in the bottom center has six, points. I think its great that we all think so deeply about these things.
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

-J.R.R Tolkien