Musical Instruments

Got a song, a tale, some news of far off places or Orcs gathering? Step up and loose your word hoard.

Moderator: Greg

SierraStrider
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Musical Insturments

Post by SierraStrider »

Will Whitfoot wrote:I'm going to try one of the little Yamaha Venova saxes one day...
You might check out the Xaphoon. Weird little thing, but charming.
Will Whitfoot
Dúnadan

Post by Will Whitfoot »

Elwindil wrote:I play clarinet, it's the only instrument I've played with any regularity, and I haven't touched one in years, unfortunately.
Pull it out! Start playing it again! In the book version of THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING there were clarinets and other instruments the Dwarves brought along. They would probably have been keyless old-style clarinets... but that's okay. Dwarves were technically very advanced in metalworking and may have developed keyed instruments long before we did. ;-)
Elwindil
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Elwindil »

unfortunately, the reason I stopped playing it is because it broke, and I haven't the funds to repair nor replace it. while music is a passion, it is something I have little true talent and calling for.
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

I play the guitar too. Never on a trail or anything. Drums of different types as well. I like the ocarinas I've got. Easy to carry. And a wooden flute.
Frodo lives!
Ruinar Hrafnakveðja
Dúnadan

Post by Ruinar Hrafnakveðja »

I play the Irish tin whistle, or penny whistle. I also am learning the chanter, which is essentially bagpipes but without the bag...or the pipes....

I don't find I bring instruments to our group events much though. Mostly because we have several actual musicians in our group, including one who plays both the fife and the hurdy gurdy. it is amazing. We had a tavern night at an event in October and he played his hurdy gurdy while singing a full 20 page long ballad of Robin Hood in Old English. It was epic! :D
I wish only for green trees, cool wine, a strong bow, and a swift arrow
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Ruinar Hrafnakveðja wrote: I don't find I bring instruments to our group events much though. Mostly because we have several actual musicians in our group, including one who plays both the fife and the hurdy gurdy. it is amazing. We had a tavern night at an event in October and he played his hurdy gurdy while singing a full 20 page long ballad of Robin Hood in Old English. It was epic! :D
Sounds it :P

[EDIT] pun not intended
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Ruinar Hrafnakveðja
Dúnadan

Post by Ruinar Hrafnakveðja »

Iodo wrote:
Sounds it :P

[EDIT] pun not intended
Hahahahaha!!!!! Good one! :lol:
I wish only for green trees, cool wine, a strong bow, and a swift arrow
Desert Loon
Dúnadan

Post by Desert Loon »

SierraStrider wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:23 pm The stick dulcimer's a fun little instrument--I really want to make my own with four strings and mandolin tuning.
I just got a stick dulcimer too! I've had a mountain dulcimer for a while and recently took it up again. One of these days I'll take the stick on a ramble in the woods, maybe with my flute and a drum. I have a Native American flute and I really should play it more.

My longest musical experience besides singing is drums. I started playing kit in 1994 and then started playing frame drums in 2001. I still have a lot to learn but I have fun. Recently I've started playing with a small acoustic group - still in the raw early stages. But here's a short video of us practicing/jamming/busking in a parking garage, with me on my big tambourine and wearing my ruana cloak. I don't know if I'm posting the link right:
[youtube]https://youtu.be/OU5zd5UNaik?t=93[/youtube]
Glory be to God for dappled things
And áll trádes, their gear and tackle and trim. (Hopkins)
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Desert Loon wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:28 am My longest musical experience besides singing is drums. I started playing kit in 1994 and then started playing frame drums in 2001. I still have a lot to learn but I have fun. Recently I've started playing with a small acoustic group - still in the raw early stages. But here's a short video of us practicing/jamming/busking in a parking garage, with me on my big tambourine and wearing my ruana cloak.
cool stuff :) the only musical instrument I have ever played is the drums, I use-to play a drum kit when I was at high-school because they had one, but because there's not enough room in the house, when I left I switched to playing a type of Irish frame drum called a bodhran
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Desert Loon
Dúnadan

Post by Desert Loon »

Iodo wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:53 am cool stuff :) the only musical instrument I have ever played is the drums, I use-to play a drum kit when I was at high-school because they had one, but because there's not enough room in the house, when I left I switched to playing a type of Irish frame drum called a bodhran
Yay for the bodhran! I got one a long time ago and was getting decent at it but then I slacked off so I'm having to build up technique on it again. Working that tipper with the wrist is a motion all its own.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Had no idea we had so many Bodhran players here! I've ben playing Bodhran, Whistles, and Uilleann Pipes since college...in, like, '08!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I have a bodhran along with several frame drums. Lovely instruments they are. A bit easier to cart around than my harps. ;)

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Desert Loon
Dúnadan

Post by Desert Loon »

This is excellent! Frame drums are such fun. I'll see about taking some tasty pictures of mine and hope to see others' soon.
Eledhwen wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:34 pm A bit easier to cart around than my harps. ;)
Eledhwen
I dropped one of my frame drums on a hike about eight years ago and down the steep hillside it rolled, bouncing all the way. But I went down and retrieved it, and aside from some small dents on the shell it's been just fine.
Charlotte
Dúnadan

Post by Charlotte »

This is a bone flute, which is a fairly common find in early medieval England. Both sheep and deer are found (this is from a white-tailed deer), though deer bones are associated with higher-status locations than sheep. It's made from a metatarsal and both the metatarsal and tibia were used historically (I plan on making both kinds)

It's my first one, and does play - you can even make something you might call music at a stretch - but it doesn't play very well, I suspect because the window is much too large. No matter! I am sure the next one will be better

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Sounds like the main issue you're having is air efficiency. With whistles like yours, the best way to keep "back pressure" (or to not feel like you're blowing down a hallway) is to have the tiniest initial airway possible, BEFORE the "window" you've carved which has the ramp that breaks the incoming air and creates the tone. It looks like the gap I'm seeing behind it that serves as this initial airway is quite near the same diameter as the bone itself. I don't think the window is your problem! You might try adding a piece of wood carved neatly to fit into that space, leaving a small gap at the top for the air to travel through.
Screen Shot 2021-12-15 at 6.40.23 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-15 at 6.40.23 PM.png (213.79 KiB) Viewed 10501 times
This plug is called a fipple, and it comprises the entire inner black piece on this brass whistle. It's usually carved with a curve on the underside like you can see here to leave space for the lower lip. At the top, you can just see where there's a gap in the brass ring, which makes the windway.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.