Iron Hills Dwarf Cosplay and persona

The main focus of MERF is Dunedain Ranger reenactment, but we have a diverse cross-section of users that have multiple interests. Let your other Geek flags fly here.

Moderator: caedmon

Iodo
Thangailhir

Iron Hills Dwarf Cosplay and persona

Post by Iodo »

A while ago, on the 'Dwarven Vambraces' thread, I promised a character write-up which I've been putting off posting for quite a while, it's going to be a BIG write-up (so big, in fact, that I had to create it in a word possessor :P: ) This was the kit I went to Liverpool comic-con in and, for now, my dwarven persona. I just need to work on making all the fake stuff real and hopefully add some real skills to.

Disclaimer: Be aware that this is just a bit of fun, I used a lot of artistic license and virtually no Tolkien/historical research what so ever (basically I made most of it up – especially about dwarven life in the mine).

Persona

Starting point: First I decided on a very basic idea; a young dwarven lady who grew up in the Iron hills wanting adventure, finally finding the chance when Dain went to fight at the battle of the five armies.

Back story: After some thought I have ended up with something quite complex:

The dwarven lady in question's full name's Iodo Ionite. Her parents are proud owners of a small devision of the iron mines in the Iron Hills, the Ionite foundry, where the little known rust-less and slightly brittle alloy, ionite (stainless steel), is smelted. Her grandparents and older brother are every bit as devoted to the foundry as her parents and almost all her family wanted her to become an important part of the business along side them.

Only, the problem is, she takes after her grate grandfather Ovrim Ionite, who explored Middle Earth as a boy and fought in at least two battles. He lived most of his life for adventure and Iodo has listened to all his story's.

As a young girl she wanted nothing more than to become an 'explorer of new lands' and for her part she did. Her grate grandfather provided her with useful training, knowledge and equipment for adventuring at an early age and she spent every possible second in the mountains outside of the mine, most of that time was meant be spent in school. All of this was obviously against her parents wishes but it wasn't like they could stop her. When they tried asking the guards at all the mine entrances not to let her out during school hours she stole a key from a mining engineer for the vent shaft grates so she could get out of unguarded exits (which opened a whole new world of freedom since the nearest one of them to her cave was less than five minute walk).

The other activity she spent a lot of child hood time doing was lamp lighting. A very important job down the mine and a favorite activity for all dwarven children that allows them to learn and explore every single tunnel and secret passage in the mine while earning some cash to spend on whatever they wanted (in Iodo's case that was anything that would be useful towards becoming an explorer of new lands).

Finally, in her early twenty's, Iodo got her chance at an adventure when Dain called his dwarves to fight at the battle of the five army's. Of course most of the numbers were Dain's trained army, but anyone else who wanted fight was encouraged to join the numbers. Iodo didn't entirely have permission but she went anyway. She was provided with amour from the Iron Hills armory (that sadly she had to give back) and took her faithful fighting mattock that her grate grandfather made her for her tenth birthday. The day she left for the battle Ovrim Ionite gave her a plane band ring and said

“I forged this, right here in the foundry, from the very best of gray ionite when I was only a child. It was the first thing I ever made. Go with Dain Ironfoot's army but take this with you as a small piece of home to remind you to return. And for goodness sake be careful!”

And return she did, but only to visit.

During the battle she was only one of a number and did no great deeds, even so, it was worth it because after that day she could say “I was there when...”

Her real adventure started after that, when she'd been offered a job at Erebor to help defend the land that Dain had won. She was tasked with being one of the dwarves who traveled the land around the Lonely Mountain to watch for anything unusual and do something about it if necessary, anything from enemy movements to unwanted bandits and robbers hiding out on the road. As a child she had heard story's of the rangers of the north (from her grate grandfather) and had often fancied herself as one of them, now in her mind she very almost is, even though she knows this is childish. Now her job is adventure, she makes sure she sends the occasional letter home with story's of her travels and the odd gold coin from the treasure hoard under the mountain and when she visits home she tells her grate grandfather story's of her own that are, very almost, as good as his.

However adventure is only three quarters of her life, now she has her own cave in the Lonely Mountain mines and spends some time helping in the rebuild. After the dragon smashed the place up there is much to do, and she isn't completely helpless in such things ether. She didn't ever devote lots of time to learning as such but growing up in a mine surrounded by master crafts people you can't really help picking up the basics of trades like metal/leather/wood/stone work, how to use mine equipment etc...

Kit

Meet Iodo Ionite:
image 1.jpg
image 1.jpg (91.58 KiB) Viewed 28870 times
Most of my ranger kit so far is here, with a few exceptions. The main one being I have no cloak or hood. At a comic-con I would have died of heat if I had worn that much wool

Hard Kit: included a pack with stuff tied to for looks mostly. This stuff included; a wool blanket/cloak that looks as if it could have come from lake town, a copper mug that's actually made of stainless steel and some rope. I also had my dwarven belt, pouch, vambraces (that Iodo made shortly after coming to Erebor – now hopefully the runes make sense “Always for the Iron Hills”) and leather gaiters that are part of my pirate costume but they sort of look the part.
image 4.jpg
image 4.jpg (43.7 KiB) Viewed 28870 times
I also had the key and ring mentioned in my character back story:
image 8.JPG
image 8.JPG (82.53 KiB) Viewed 28870 times
The ring is on chord because it fitted Ovrim perfectly and was far to large for Iodo, who couldn't bring herself to alter it after all those years.

Soft Kit: included a linen tunic and trousers with my wool surcoat and a knitted wool waistcoat and scarf.

Weapons: I must have spent almost two solid weeks of evenings making foam weapons for the comic-con. I ended up with two throwing knives, two axes, a dagger, holsters for all of those and a fighting mattock, (the one Iodo's grate grandfather made for her birthday) which is my take on whats described in The Hobbit.
image 5.JPG
image 5.JPG (91.22 KiB) Viewed 28870 times
image 7.JPG
image 7.JPG (71.75 KiB) Viewed 28870 times
image 6.JPG
image 6.JPG (96.12 KiB) Viewed 28870 times
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: Iron Hills Dwarf Cosplay and persona

Post by Greg »

This is really cool! I’d love to see how it is all supposed to look put together, with the woolens. Top layers make a big difference! Major props for going the extra mile and making a go at a Mattock...the films missed out on that one almost entirely.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Very cool ! Tthe whole costume and gear comes together very nicely.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Thankyou for the good comments :P
Greg wrote:This is really cool! I’d love to see how it is all supposed to look put together, with the woolens. Top layers make a big difference! Major props for going the extra mile and making a go at a Mattock...the films missed out on that one almost entirely.
As for what it all looks like together, I don't really know yet as I haven't quite decided what the full kit will include. I hope to post more photos soon, when I have a better idea (and possibly made a few more things) :mrgreen:
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Very cool!

... are you planning on remaking the larp-tools as real versions at some point? Or is it not worth the bother?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Elleth wrote:Very cool!

... are you planning on remaking the larp-tools as real versions at some point? Or is it not worth the bother?
Maybe? However not all of them, I would love a real version of the mattock although I'm not sure how possible that would be
Elwindil
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Elwindil »

that is an amazing kit, Iodo. perhaps for the mattock, a casting might be the way to go? or a collaboration with another smith?
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

You might be able to make a slightly smaller version by using stock removal on a cross pein hammer.

I've included a few links to give you an idea:

http://www.hammersource.com/Cross-Pein- ... od-handle/

http://www.hammersource.com/Cross-Pein- ... od-handle/
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

You've already shown quite the talent for metalwork - all that brass strapping and riveting looks well within your wheelhouse. I bet you could put together something really cool!

... If the hammers above are too massive, perhaps grind a point onto the flat side of a regular pick mattock head? Poking around I see a number that aren't entirely unlike your cosplay version: slimmer of course, but I assume you'd want that in steel?

Very fun projects you're doing. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Hmmm... Great ideas, if it was in steel I would defiantly want it thinner to cut down on weight, modifying an existing pick-mattock head would probably be the way to go. I think I'll leave this idea a while, get some more useful kit stuff made first :P
Elendur Amloth
Wanderer

Post by Elendur Amloth »

Persona looks great! I used to go to Conventions years ago, back when they weren't so worried about the weaponry but now if you don't have latex, you ain't getting in :P - (and understandable all things in the world today considered). I say work up some real versions to use out in the field and keep doing what you're doing. Great work!
'I would see the White Tree in flower again in the courts of the kings, and the Silver Crown return, and Minas Tirith in peace. Minas Anor as of old, full of light, high and fair, beautiful as a queen among other queens, not a mistress of many slaves.'
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Elendur Amloth wrote:Persona looks great! I used to go to Conventions years ago, back when they weren't so worried about the weaponry but now if you don't have latex, you ain't getting in :P - (and understandable all things in the world today considered). I say work up some real versions to use out in the field and keep doing what you're doing. Great work!
Thank you, glad you like it. It is on my future projects list to make some real versions of the stuff for my persona, the only problem being British weapon laws :lol: so I can't really use much in the field, I can get away with a small utility knife and maybe a hatchet and that's about it, hence this project isn't a high priority.

Well, talking about priorities has made me remember, I'm about to start my final and hardest collage year so I might not have time for anything, we'll see?