Greetings from North Yorkshire

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Knucker

Greetings from North Yorkshire

Post by Knucker »

Hullo and thanks for making a great site for those of us with a passion for the works of J.R.R. Tolkien. I've been a life long fan of his works and from early on I thought that trying to live my life learning the skills of the Dunadain would be worthwhile and beneficial. It's great to find that others across the world with similar ideas.

I feel that I was blessed to have enjoyed a childhood where I was able to spend huge amounts of time out and about with my mates poking about in the countryside exploring and learning about the local flora and fauna, making dens, climbing trees, shooting catapults and making bows and arrows etc. My father was a keen Scouter and introduced me to what he knew as Woodcraft, what today seems to be known as Bushcraft. I spent quite a lot of time camping and fishing, usually at the same time, which further enhanced my knowledge of the natural world.

As a teenager, I learnt to sail dinghies and messing about in boats has been a constant throughout my life. I bought my first proper bow in my early twenties, but my hopes of getting the occasional rabbit for the pot were dashed when I was told by the shop who sold me my bow that it is illegal to shoot any animals, even those classed as vermin, in the UK. My archery has been practised on and off over the years and a few years ago my wife bought me a longbow from Steve Ralph, an excellent fiftieth birthday present! Now, I might never rival Legolas, but I do enjoy my archery!

When my kids were born, I found it difficult to maintain previous levels of fitness and started putting on weight. When I reached eighteen stone I said enough! Something had to be done. It was suggested to me that a martial art might suit, and I looked at a couple, but the only things available were from Asia. Now, I have nothing against Asian martial arts, but we've been fighting and killing each other here in the west for as long as those in the east and I thougt there must be something out there more pertinent to an Englishman of Anglo Saxon descent. I started my search by looking for any groups with knowledge of the quarter staff, but could find nothing within a sensible travelling distance to be able to train regularly. My efforts did put me in contact with someone on the cusp of starting a HEMA group close enough to me, and together a small group of us started the York Free Fencers Guild. We celebrated our fifth anniversary last year. This small group has in turn put me in contact with some very interesting people. ...and yes, I have lost weight!

I am hugely impressed at the quality of kit you folks have, there are some truly gifted craftsmen and women here. I have nothing that could be described as being suitable attire for a Ranger, but I hope to be able to correct that in the near future. Other goals are to improve my tracking and stalking skills, also to learn another language. I've dabbled with German from my HEMA experience, but I'd like at least a smattering of Sindarin too.

Well, I think that's enough of me for now. I look forward to discussing and sharing more here and on the Facebook group. Who knows, we might even have the chance to share a tale and a glass of mead around a campfire in person one day.

Best wishes,

Knucker
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: Greetings from North Yorkshire

Post by Elleth »

Wow! Well it certainly sounds like you had the childhood to lead you here! Welcome welcome welcome!

It is a wonderfully fun hobby. I'm very curious to hear how things come along and your road getting started.

With all that tracking and HEMA and archery, I assume you're thinking of takign the Ranger road?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Knucker

Post by Knucker »

Thanks Elleth!

Yes, I definitely see myself as Ranger material.

I have a YouTube channel, but it currently has little other than a handful of simple clips. It has always been my intention to make longer videos showing the things I do.
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

Welcome, Ranger!
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Welcome ranger :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Welcome! You are among some of the very best of company to be had.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Knucker

Post by Knucker »

Thank you for the warm welcome, much appreciated.

Hopefully I'll be able to get out more soon and take a few pics to share with you all.

Knucker
robinhoodsghost
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by robinhoodsghost »

Congrats on the weight loss and your journey into the martial arts..always good to add a new Ranger here. Look forward to your future posts.
In the darkest part of Sherwoods glade, in the thickest part of the wood, there are those who say, can still be seen, the ghost of Robin Hood.