A wonderful article on the Dunedain...

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Mirimaran
Thangailhir

A wonderful article on the Dunedain...

Post by Mirimaran »

found in the online pages of The Cimmerian. Read and enjoy:

http://www.thecimmerian.com/?p=7563
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Re: A wonderful article on the Dunedain...

Post by Eledhwen »

That was an excellent read. Thanks Mirimaran!

Siani
Nandalad!
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

very nice.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Very interesting article. It was a good read.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Frothgar
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Frothgar »

theres a blog called the the Cimmerian? Why was i not informed?
Civilization, it seems, prepared one to live, but not to survive.
-Cimmerian proverb
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Frothgar, it is the best REH site I have ever seen, and great well-written articles!
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

http://www.thecimmerian.com/?p=7735#more-7735

Ken, great article! great site! I have included a link to another article I saw shortly after reading the one you posted. I've never read the essay being questioned but I have yet to see another article with more insight into Tolkiens mindset and background in WWI. It was very touching and informative.
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

That was a great article as well R.D. thanks for the link! From reading what Moorcock has said about Tolkien, I really have to wonder if he read LOTR at all, or just the cliff notes. I have read the Elric books and did enjoy them, but The Lord of the Rings has been in my life since I was 15, and the older I get, the better the books are. The books are really about the experience of life, and I think that the reader passes through the story at different points in their life. It was harder to understand things like duty and sacrifice at 15 than it is today at 43, and I am sure that at 63 I will find something else that I will understand better than I do today. Perhaps if Mr. Moorcock would have seen more service and duty in his time on earth he might have understood the very personal views and expressions Professor Tolkien shared with the world in LOTR. At it's core, I think that LOTR was as much an attempt to chronicle the great War of the Ring as it was one man's attempt to make sense of his changing world. Do we all have such epics inside of us, to be played out across pages of worlds draped in mythic shadow, mirroring our lives? Or perhaps we can breathe a bit easier when we put pen to paper, for when our characters are brought to life, they might not be burdened with as much loss and sadness that Tolkien saw through his character's eyes. In the end, LOTR is sad, and like real life has no real happy ending, but when one finds happiness it is best not to measure it in days, but in memories...