Amazon Series

Where it's not Ranger related. Rankin Bass, Bakshi, PJ, or independent. If it's not specifically ranger related, let's talk movies (or TV)!

Moderator: caedmon

Aaron
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Amazon Series

Post by Aaron »

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live- ... ix-1099213

Not enthused that there looks to be some influence from Jackson's interpretation, but if it's limited to a few locations then I don't think I will be upset by it. I'd rather just see someone else take a spin at an interpretation, as we've seen Jackson's already. I had originally hoped this could be a truer take on the Lord of the Rings story and not focused on being a big-budget blockbuster, but given the cost of the rights and the planned budget, it seems unlikely. There are plenty of stories in the legendarium that would make great tales for a series, but I really hope they don't throw in drama for the sake of drama.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Re: Amazon Series

Post by caedmon »

Hmmm. Here's to hoping.
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

It appears that Amazon's vaunted LOTR series will (at least at first) focus on a young Aragorn. I foresee a new crop of Rangering fans.

https://slate.com/culture/2018/05/amazo ... agorn.html
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

I'd like to remain hopeful, but I suspect we're going to get a series about an angsty teen model who fights with the notion of his possible destiny as a kind. Aragorn will have a man-bun and he and his crew of high-cheekboned teen model Elf friends (and a belching, farting comedic relief Dwarf buddy) will scour Middle-earth searching for the best avocado toast and artisinal fair trade kambucha.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Straelbora wrote:Aragorn will have a man-bun and he and his crew of high-cheekboned teen model Elf friends (and a belching, farting comedic relief Dwarf buddy) will scour Middle-earth searching for the best avocado toast and artisinal fair trade kambucha.
When you put it that way, how can I say no?
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Don't forget the magical pet, that can talk and will have a higher IQ than the rest of the party put together.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

... Is it better or worse that they're filming in a time and place I'd love to see fleshed out on screen?

:(
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Elleth wrote:... Is it better or worse that they're filming in a time and place I'd love to see fleshed out on screen?

:(
Don't wanna play devil's advocate here, but that definitely makes it worse.

There's your challenge, Amazon: Prove me wrong.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Straelbora wrote:I'd like to remain hopeful, but I suspect we're going to get a series about an angsty teen model who fights with the notion of his possible destiny as a kind. Aragorn will have a man-bun and he and his crew of high-cheekboned teen model Elf friends (and a belching, farting comedic relief Dwarf buddy) will scour Middle-earth searching for the best avocado toast and artisinal fair trade kambucha.
Let's not forget his BFF the ghost of Celebrimor.
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Brethren, I do indeed remember many decades ago the grouchy talk surrounding announcements that someone named Peter Jackson was filming the legend.
That didn't turn out too badly did it now? :mrgreen:

Anyway, here is more news and speculation:
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Hanasian
Wanderer

Post by Hanasian »

Kortoso wrote:Brethren, I do indeed remember many decades ago the grouchy talk surrounding announcements that someone named Peter Jackson was filming the legend.
That didn't turn out too badly did it now?
Yeah, it did actually. It totally ignored Arnor, Arthedain, and the Dunedain Rangers, relegating Aragorn to some irresponsible Gondorian who went off chasing some Elven hottie.
Hanasían
Annalist, Physician, & Historian
of The Black Company of the Dúnedain,
The Free Company of Arnor