Ithilien Quiver

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

theowl
Vendor

Ithilien Quiver

Post by theowl »

I picked up a Faramir buckle from Elleth and figured it was time to do a quiver inspired by his. I simplified the design quite a bit, while keeping the overall feel. I'm quite happy with how it turned out. Also this is my first foray into arrow socks, and so far I like it. I make mine out of oilcloth, so it's soft enough to let the arrows in and out, but stiff enough to keep it's shape where I want it to.
theowl
Vendor

Re: Ithilien Quiver

Post by theowl »

I don't know if it's the angle or what, but just noticed the little square bit in the middle looks super crooked. it's not, I promise.
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

Nice work.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

That's impressive :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Nice!!

I'm going to have to try that "bottom strap coming in from the side" arrangement at some point. It seems it solves the problem of your arrows slowly moving down your right shoulder as you walk.

... and I'm still rather surprised WETA came up with the arrow sock thing. It's practical all beyond expectation for something out of a movie prop house. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
theowl
Vendor

Post by theowl »

Elleth wrote:Nice!!

I'm going to have to try that "bottom strap coming in from the side" arrangement at some point. It seems it solves the problem of your arrows slowly moving down your right shoulder as you walk.
it took some tinkering to find the right placement for it but it works surprisingly well. I have no trouble drawing out of the quiver without a 3rd strap to hold everything steady.
Elleth wrote:... and I'm still rather surprised WETA came up with the arrow sock thing. It's practical all beyond expectation for something out of a movie prop house. :)
Always impressed with the amount of care and attention they pay to the stuff they make.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Elleth wrote:Nice!!

This it WILL fix...but if there’s a bit of weight to the quiver, it may allow it to sink under your left arm occasionally in exchange. Something to tinker with.

Quiver looks great!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Out of curiosity.... has anyone ever seen a good picture of the back side of one of these quivers - as WETA made them, I mean?
I'd be curious to see how they were stitched up originally - and how/where those straps were attached.

I assume with so much of the front open even with a saddle stitch they'd go together pretty easy?
Greg

Post by Greg »

I've never seen an image of the backside of one (and I've definitely looked), but the way their straps are attached is not at all how most folks do their quiver straps. They attached them in a way that seems the LEAST practical, to me, because they don't have a third strap holding it in place, but it puts both all the support AND all of the weight to the left shoulder. If you put straps on exactly how the film quivers are done, they'll end up in your left armpit, and a right-handed shooter won't have access over their right shoulder. There may be something hidden in their costumes in the form of a slit in the cloak for an extra strap, but we've never seen it. ie:
RangerBk_3460_GLeaf.jpg
RangerBk_3460_GLeaf.jpg (236.55 KiB) Viewed 7249 times
The way TheOwl hung his straps is much more functional because it aims the fletching at the correct shoulder, though as I said in the past it CAN slide under the left armpit with a heavier quiver/load. That's why I put my straps on the sides, pulling directly opposite each other, aiming the fletching over my right shoulder with the shoulder strap over the left. Lots of options, but I've never worn a quiver with a strap attached to the top for any length of time without wanting a third strap under the right arm.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

good to know, thank you!

... I just realized after the leather-crafting thread... I have a scrap piece of veg-tan just big enough, and a spare strap of that width, and some dye, and the test pieces from Shapeways when I built up that buckle andstrap end, and some old WETA-ish arrows that could use a place to live... it'd be a shame not to put them all together finally.

I think I can guesstimate a pattern and dimensions based on that last picture (thank you!!) but if anyone who's gone this road has a proper pattern I'd be much obliged.

Thanks all! :mrgreen:
Greg

Post by Greg »

I don't have a WETA pattern, per say, but I made my own and all four of my iterations have had the same initial dimensions when flat. It's lying around here somewhere...
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

I worked up a sample based on a capture of the "Faramir's Dream" scene.

It seems about right in proportion, but the overall size might be off compared to my arrows.
Maybe Faramir's actor is smaller than I thought, or maybe with at that flat bottom seam the arrows in their sock sit a few inches high from the actual bottom of the quiver.

... My posterboard model is about 27 1/4" x ~6 5/8" at the top, folded completely flat.
Is that significantly bigger than what you've all found?
Greg

Post by Greg »

The film ones look a good deal longer than mine, but I don't have measurements handy at the moment (AND I know I owe you some measurements already...)