3rd Age longsword scabbard

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

3rd Age longsword scabbard

Post by Ursus »

Right on the heels of a similar project by Greg I’ve finally managed to wrap up my own ranger scabbard project.

The by-knife is still a WIP as I am not quite happy with the handle and the blade still needs some finishing work done, but its functional for now. The blade was made from a broken piece of an old butchers cleaver that I’ve had lying around for years. Overall its around 10 inches and is intended to be my main camp and work knife.

The core is poplar slats steamed and fitted around the blade and lined with lanolin oiled felt. The wrapping is a heavy goat hide initially dyed green then overlayed with brown, then green again before wiping it down with an alcohol dampened rag to expose both shades and then heavily rubbed with dubbin.

The by-knife scabbard is wet molded harness weight leather underneath the goat hide. Looking back I wish that I had smoothed the knife scabbards edges better to blend it more seamlessly to the core. I think I’m going to mask it by laying in a border of Numenorean design. While the knife does fit quite snuggly I did go ahead and add a leather tie as a safety precaution, as I carry no other knife on my belt at present Id hate to loose one of my main work tools while on the move.

The chape is from The Printed Armory and is bronzed steel.
Attachments
IMG_3752.jpg
IMG_3752.jpg (147.58 KiB) Viewed 18110 times
IMG_3751.jpg
IMG_3751.jpg (133.62 KiB) Viewed 18110 times
IMG_3750.jpg
IMG_3750.jpg (161.9 KiB) Viewed 18110 times
IMG_3748.jpg
IMG_3748.jpg (181.83 KiB) Viewed 18110 times
IMG_3747.jpg
IMG_3747.jpg (172.06 KiB) Viewed 18110 times
IMG_3746.jpg
IMG_3746.jpg (134.48 KiB) Viewed 18110 times
IMG_3745.jpg
IMG_3745.jpg (88.2 KiB) Viewed 18110 times
IMG_3744.jpg
IMG_3744.jpg (140.92 KiB) Viewed 18110 times
IMG_3743.jpg
IMG_3743.jpg (156.86 KiB) Viewed 18110 times
Last edited by Ursus on Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
Harper
Haeropada

Re: 3rd Age longsword scabbard

Post by Harper »

Nice work.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Like the finish and color of the leather, great work :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Oh....

that's fantastic. Magical!

It looks perfectly amazing!!
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Very nice work on that, Ursus. Came together beautifully.

I'm curious what your complaints are with the byknife handle. It looks pretty cool to me, and the overall design is impressive. Comfort issues?
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

Greg wrote:I'm curious what your complaints are with the byknife handle. It looks pretty cool to me, and the overall design is impressive. Comfort issues?
It feels great in the hand. My main critique is that I’d like to have a bronze or steel “pommel” at the end should I wish to hammer or tap on something during a chore around camp. If I go that route the goal is to blend it seamlessly with the rest of the handle. I also need to place a couple rivets to further secure the handle, which is set with epoxy currently. I don’t think it would go anywhere but I’d rather not wait until I’m out on an overnight to find out.
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

Ruinar Hrafnakveðja
Dúnadan

Post by Ruinar Hrafnakveðja »

Great looking sword and scabbard Ursus! I really like how you added the by-knife to it, and I think it looks perfect the way it is! Also that's a great trick using the alcohol rags witht he leather dye, going to have to borrow that one!
I wish only for green trees, cool wine, a strong bow, and a swift arrow
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Ursus wrote:
Greg wrote:I'm curious what your complaints are with the byknife handle. It looks pretty cool to me, and the overall design is impressive. Comfort issues?
It feels great in the hand. My main critique is that I’d like to have a bronze or steel “pommel” at the end should I wish to hammer or tap on something during a chore around camp. If I go that route the goal is to blend it seamlessly with the rest of the handle. I also need to place a couple rivets to further secure the handle, which is set with epoxy currently. I don’t think it would go anywhere but I’d rather not wait until I’m out on an overnight to find out.
I'd leave off the bronze or steel pommel. It's one thing to have a poll on your hand axe and entirely needless on a sword/dagger, you'll get pissed if you use it because it will leave damage/marks on the pomme. Just use a rock to hammer. Unless you are building a cabin in which case, bring a hammer.
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

Peter Remling wrote:I'd leave off the bronze or steel pommel. It's one thing to have a poll on your hand axe and entirely needless on a sword/dagger, you'll get pissed if you use it because it will leave damage/marks on the pomme. Just use a rock to hammer. Unless you are building a cabin in which case, bring a hammer.
I’m not reallly thinking of hammering in the sense of driving tent stakes but more along the lines of small tasks like cracking nuts or similar small tasks without having to cast about for a rock or something similar.
That being said, I’m not to concerned with things getting marked up, most of my gear leads a hard life.
Im also thinking in terms of structural integrity to help preserve the end of the handle from splitting. As I said, WIP.

Grimolt
Wayfarer

Post by Grimolt »

You could put a really beautiful cap on the butt of that knife without too much trouble, but how useful it might be even for crushing nuts or used as an improvised pestle would depend on how you secure it and what kind of shape you put to it. Depending on how you attach it, you might need to shorten your handle scales though.

V/r

Grimolt
Love not too well the work of thy hands and the devices of thy heart; and remember that the true hope of the Noldor lieth in the West and cometh from the sea.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Just from an aesthetic point of view, I think a hammered copper or bronze pommel would be lovely.

Hrm.. since there's no tang sticking out the back, perhaps affix the pommel with stirrups/langets inlet into the handle wood? That would also give a nice opportunity to further "Dunedain-ify" the design by tweaking the shape of the end of the langet or engraving the langet itself...

Really crude mockup, but...
ursus-knife.jpg
ursus-knife.jpg (52.87 KiB) Viewed 17729 times
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Elendur Amloth
Wanderer

Post by Elendur Amloth »

Great work! Ranger green with envy. :P
'I would see the White Tree in flower again in the courts of the kings, and the Silver Crown return, and Minas Tirith in peace. Minas Anor as of old, full of light, high and fair, beautiful as a queen among other queens, not a mistress of many slaves.'
imaginatus
Wayfarer

Post by imaginatus »

Impressive. Love the depth in the color, which I'm sure the photos are only hinting at.
Is the triangular tab that overlaps the guard only on the outer side, or both?
Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.