Some new stuff

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: Some new stuff

Post by Elleth »

Hah!

I'm sure he's just having fun. :)

Dwarves speak the common tongue (Westron) amongst other folk, and Khuzdul among themselves. Sadly, the extant word list is really limited:
https://eldamo.org/content/word-indexes/words-kh.html

... there are a few in there you might use to name your hammer if you've a mind to though - "blackspike" comes to mind. I don't know how fleshed out the grammar is for Khuzdul is (not very is my belief) .. but you could probably come up with something plausible.

Alternately, a name in Westron might be possible, especially if you're willing to add some extrapolated words from Adunaic.

Iodo - if you were to write something on it in English, what would it be?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Thanks for the link to the words, that's fascinating, wouldn't know where to begin with pronunciation though?
Elleth wrote: Iodo - if you were to write something on it in English, what would it be?
Quite honestly, not a clue? Given how cheaply made the war hammer is and how little it cost me, I wasn't going to do any serious research. A friend suggested ''goblin smasher'' :lol: but I think I like ''blackspike'' better. The original plan was to use the same runes I used on my vambraces, the ones me, my brother and a few friends can read.
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

How about your Dwarvish name. It would just show ownership.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

I don't really understand dwarvish grammar, but I *think* "Blackspike" would be "narâgzirak"
"Black" in this instance comes from the early name of Mirrormere - "Narag-zâram" or more literally (I think) "Black-Lake."
There might then be extra connotations to "narag" implying depth or mystery/wonder rather than simply noting the color "black."
Or maybe not, I've no idea. :)

There's two versions of cirth a Dwarf of the Lonely Mountain might use. The first is the Moria mode, and I think more formal/older. The second is the Erebor mode, which is also used by the Dwarves when writing Westron ("Common"). If this helps -
merf-cirth-naragzirak.gif
merf-cirth-naragzirak.gif (24.98 KiB) Viewed 17588 times
You almost certainly wouldn't have your Dwarven "inner name" on your possessions, as that's quite secret.
You might well have a nickname in either Dwarvish or Common on there though. :)
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Nice, thanks for the translation's, I think I'll use that :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Iodo wrote: Which seem to say "WARHMAR" the same as the image name.

Forgive me for asking a stupid question but I can't help wondering, is this some sort of dwarven language or just a shortened form of the word warhammer? :lol:
The runes I did were entirely for illustration. Not intended to be copied.

If I recall, I wrote WARHMAR ÞS IS -Warhammer this is, using the Angerthas Moria font. It's a nod to the delightfully literal runic transcription on the Lolland Thors Hammer.

-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

I completely failed to work out what the four letters at the end were, clever :mrgreen:
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

I've been giving some thought to this, since the recent discussion that decided the name for my characters job role I think I should include the term 'fells-ward' in the runes, here's the caption I have in mind:

"Nargzirak
Of the Fells-Ward"

The war hammer could have been given to Iodo when she joined the Erebor Watch, even though it wouldn't be her first choice as a weapon, it makes a nice in character keepsake.

The runes will be riten in Anglo Saxon like on all my other project's, sorry to disappoint you all, but they're the runes I can read and learned out of The Hobbit. Even if it was only Tolkien's translation, those runes will probably always feel more dwarven to me than anything else :oops: :lol:

[EDIT] Don't worry, I will spell it right on the actual thing! (narâgzirak) Can't spell in English, don't stand a chance with anything else :P
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Too cool.
Frodo lives!
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

TaylorSteiner wrote:Too cool.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Ever since that MERS news letter all about dwarves came out I've really wanted this, and when my company announced that there would be a Christmas bonus I couldn't believe my good luck that it hadn't sold yet :mrgreen:

Odigan's craftsmanship is amazing, it's even better for real than it is in the photographs, I feel proud to have it :P
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Congrats!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

I was soooooo hoping that would end up in your hands.

AWESOME. :mrgreen:
Odigan
Vendor

Post by Odigan »

Hey, it finally got there! Glad to see it go to an appreciative home.
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Ooh niceeee.
Frodo lives!