Albion Swords for Dwarf Persona

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Bumr Blackbrand
Wayfarer

Albion Swords for Dwarf Persona

Post by Bumr Blackbrand »

I spent months researching different custom smiths and spoke to a few regarding a custom Dwarf sword commission. I had settled on what would essentially be a Norse sword with some geometric handle work, but everyone I spoke to gave me the same estimated price. Unfortunately, something like that is far outside my budget, and I've since decided that instead of trying to get someone to make something from scratch, I'd be far better off finding a sword that I could pass off as a sword from Erebor.

I've decided to go with an Albion sword, I'm confident that they're the best, and I highly doubt a custom piece would handle as well as one of theirs, anyway. They make a ton of swords, several of which I'm considering, and I'd love any opinions from my Tolkien scholars out there.

Really any of Albion's stuff is up for grabs, but I'd prefer something on the shorter side, around a 30" blade. The one that stand out in the forefront of my mind is the Albion Berserkr -- it has a single-edge that doesn't make it look as much of a typical viking sword, and I think it'd be easy to pass it off as Dwarven in origin. Some other frontrunners are the Huskarl, Thegn, Reeve, and the Solingen.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: Albion Swords for Dwarf Persona

Post by Greg »

Have you talked to Odigan about a commission, before you give up your hopes and dreams? He does beautiful custom work, he's firmly rooted in Middle-earth, he's a forum member...aaand he used to work at Albion.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

If you want the best of both world's, the Squire Line Viking sword might be the way to go. You can have the furniture customized and still have the benefit of an Albion blade. All for the cost of well under a full custom piece.

https://www.albion-swords.com/swords/al ... viking.htm
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

I second the vote for Odigan. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Bumr Blackbrand
Wayfarer

I sent Odigan a message. His stuff looks phenomenal, I'll use this thread for any updates from Odigan or Albion, whichever path I go.
theowl
Vendor

Post by theowl »

I personally think the berserkr is as dwarven as a sword can get.
Barnaum

Post by Barnaum »

I personally think a gladius hispaniensis would fit the bill. It's short and wide with a acute angled point. The only thing is the organic hilt seems a bit off for a dwarf.
Bumr Blackbrand
Wayfarer

Figured I should update this thread as things move along.

I had the unique opportunity to handle a few Albion pieces at a show in Southern California. After speaking to Mike and playing around with a Berserkr, I've got one with my name on it coming my way in about eleven months. It'll have blackened hardware and a 'Campaign Tan' handle and I cannot wait.

I also messaged Odigan about his thoughts on a custom piece and one of his designs he sent me is absolutely 110% perfect and even surpasses the Berserkr in Dwarven-ness.

I've decided that I'll be getting both.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Nice! If you ever can't decide, the best solution is always to go with both :P

Can't wait to see them :mrgreen:
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Oh very cool! I'm especially looking forward to seeing what Odigan comes up with. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.