Bracer build from youtube

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Elwindil
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Bracer build from youtube

Post by Elwindil »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEqofmYyrz0 fella calls it dwarven, but I dunno, it looks good but there's some bits that I might have done differently, like maybe stitching the fur in place and not just using contact cement, and possibly I would've contacted someone to get the bits he did with rub n buff in actual steel, but that's just me thinking functional and not costume. Speaking of both functional and costume armor, there's a series on Tested's youtube channel where Adam Savage goes over to meet with Terry English and gets a suit of the Arthur armor from Excalibur built to fit, it's a fascinating series so far, and with Terry English being a Master at his craft, there's quite a bit of knowledge shared there as well so it may be helpful for someone wanting to make their own armor.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Re: Bracer build from youtube

Post by Iodo »

The leather he uses is thick enough, and there are enough layers, that if it were hardened it would be pretty functional without the need for any steel
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Elwindil

Post by Elwindil »

while that's true, I was thinking more from the dwarven lines that he's going for that metal would perhaps be a better choice since it would fit in with how we perceive dwarves as a whole.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

I've got the same itch Elwindil: I'm just not partial to trying to make one material look like another.
I understand why in convention or cosplay circles it's a common practice or even necessary, it's just not my thing.

(That's also why I'm not particularly interested in sci-fi hobbies - in our game a sword can be a real sword, but a costume laser gun can never be anything *but* a costume piece)

de gustibus. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Bumr Blackbrand
Wayfarer

Post by Bumr Blackbrand »

I might have to give these a shot. I’d want to use real steel (probably brass, actually) on the overlay. And that looks like a faux hammered copper underneath, but I think I’ll pass on that.
Elwindil

Post by Elwindil »

it's tooled leather that he's hit with some copper rub n buff to give it that look of hammered copper.
Bumr Blackbrand
Wayfarer

Post by Bumr Blackbrand »

Yeah, I'm not fond of that aspect. I'll be going with a dark brown leather and brass overlay, I have some reindeer fur I could use for the trim as well. It doesn't look incredibly complex.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

If you make in use rivets to hold it together instead of contact cement, that worked well when I made my bracers and attached metal to leather. Brass is a good choice, it's easier to cut and bend
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Elwindil

Post by Elwindil »

it's not too terribly complex, if I had the materials I could knock it out in maybe two days, so it's not terribly difficult, just gotta have the material *laughs*
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I like the design, though I can enjoy and am not vehemently opposed to the angular nature of all things Dwarven as proclaimed by Weta and PJ, I think there is a lot more to being a Dwarf than straight lines and intricate geometric patterns. Tolkien's basis for the Dwarves culture was a combination of the cultural aspects of Norse/Germanic and Hebrew cultures There have also been scholars who suggest that Celtic cultures were a large influence and though I am not fully convinced that that was intentional, I will admit that his somewhat Celtic environment was an influence on the professor himself and visa vi carried to all his creations. So rounded designs and intricate knotwork like the Celt or Norse variety I view as perfectly acceptable.
No matter what philosophy you choose, I like the fact that he has used layers and that in the design one could use different thicknesses or treatments of leathers or metals or both. Yes, dwarves are famed metalsmiths, but they were also celebrated toymakers, and that, I believe is the crux. they were craftsman and would not disdain leather or wood or stone if it fits the bill, they would just have to do it with a high degree of excellence or it would not enter circulation. If a Dwarf were to be out on the road or out in the wilderness, ones need for bracers to be light and strong but not bright and flashy would determine his or her choice of materials. Thus a Dwarven Scout or Ranger (or Fellwarden) for instance in most instances( ie: not expecting to go into combat but prepared for trouble) would prefer a mix of leather with hardened leather and perhaps some of the more dulled or dullable metals. (Akin to Bronze or dark copper in color if not painted/enameled) over a layer of soft cloth, wool, fur or even suede, though the last two options would be more desirable in cooler climes. Thus a thin strong layer of any brighter dwarven metal may be used to strengthen the armor piece, but would most likely be sandwiched or covered with leather. There are examples of this in history in both very warm and very cold climates or in cases needing stealth. The attitude would be the same as any other warrior or wayfarer in the wild. the ever-present balance of Speed and agility, Protection and Concealment. So given the Youtuber's design and build, it is obvious that a cosmetic approach has been chosen over a historical or reenacting one. I would think he is after cosplayers or else he would benefit by using EVA foam. But the real leather and the metalized wax of a Rub N Buff type application can look great using the 10-foot rule, and the fur trim is decorative rather than practical in any way. So what I am saying is very Dwarven in itself: "The right tool for the right job".
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen: