'Warden'- Custom Ranger Knife Design

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Pixelpen

'Warden'- Custom Ranger Knife Design

Post by Pixelpen »

I've spent most of my adult life as a graphic designer, and have freelanced as a concept artist for various independent projects over the years, and this has instilled a desire to express myself in many ways. I've been moonlighting, of late, as a designer for a local knife-maker, and I was recently inspired to design my own ranger knife.

Presenting... The Warden.

My ancestry is predominantly Scots-Irish and Cherokee, and I wanted to put that into a knife which seemed partway between a Native American war knife, Scottish Dirk, and Irish Scian. The symbol on the handle is an old Anglo-Saxon symbol used to ward off evil- as one of my great passions is studying Early-Middle Age Europe, I found it fitting.

As always, thoughts and commentary of a constructive variety are not only welcome, but encouraged. I'm still learning, so by all means, help me along.
"Give me strength, not to be better than my enemies, but to defeat my greatest enemy, the doubts within myself. Give me strength for a straight back and clear eyes, so when life fades as the setting sun, my spirit may come to you without shame."
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: 'Warden'- Custom Ranger Knife Design

Post by Peter Remling »

Welcome and very interesting design. Nice dagger style with the false edge twist, I like it ! The wrapped front of the handle to provide a more secure grip, very well thought out.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Nice work :P

I'd make the sheath more curved to the shape of the blade, the rectangular shape is cool but looks a bit to modern, the knife is awesome though
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Pixelpen

Post by Pixelpen »

Iodo wrote:I'd make the sheath more curved to the shape of the blade, the rectangular shape is cool but looks a bit to modern, the knife is awesome though
Sheaths and scabbard are not my strong suit, not at all. Leather is pretty new to me. I'll do a bit more reference hunting and see what I can come up with, though, for sure.
"Give me strength, not to be better than my enemies, but to defeat my greatest enemy, the doubts within myself. Give me strength for a straight back and clear eyes, so when life fades as the setting sun, my spirit may come to you without shame."
Pixelpen

Post by Pixelpen »

I think that works better for a sheath, having peeked at a few other options. It's simpler but works better.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Pixelpen wrote: I think that works better for a sheath, having peeked at a few other options. It's simpler but works better.
Nice, that's very similar to a typical viking seax knife sheath and suspension, are you going to make this? If you do it'll look amazing
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Pixelpen

Post by Pixelpen »

Iodo wrote:Nice, that's very similar to a typical viking seax knife sheath and suspension, are you going to make this? If you do it'll look amazing
Well one of my best friends is a knifemaker, and I have experience with working with wood, so I would absolutely love to, but money is a concern at the moment, and he has a list of commissions queued up first. Eventually, I very much hope so. It's the goal.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Oh that is very cool!

Can you tell us more about the design on the handle you mention? I'm curious to learn more about it.
I like the center-ring cut in the handle as well - it's a lovely look.

I could imagine a thick spine like the early ballock daggers Tod Cutler replicates might go nicely with that handle design as well - and make a wonderful compact working knife!

*IF* you care (and I'm not saying you should) - I don't think that kind of sandwich-constructed sheath comes in until fairly late. Given the way you want to hang it, I think a broadly seax-like sheath might work well, especially if you're already using a Saxon motif on the handle.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Pixelpen

Post by Pixelpen »

Elleth wrote:*IF* you care (and I'm not saying you should) - I don't think that kind of sandwich-constructed sheath comes in until fairly late. Given the way you want to hang it, I think a broadly seax-like sheath might work well, especially if you're already using a Saxon motif on the handle.
Oh but see I do care!

For me, the greatest challenge as a designer is that careful balance between form and function. To say that a single element exists only for aesthetic reason isn't enough for me. There has to be a point to it, it has to stand for something.

ESPECIALLY in regards to weapons of the Middle Ages. These were difficult crafts to achieve, resources weren't as easy to come by in those days and everything was done by hand, very carefully. For that reason, EVERY element must have a point for that much effort- and often money- to be poured into it's making.

So, to say that a "sandwich sheath" will do because it's simply easy to assemble just... won't do at all. If you have any reference suggestions, by all means I'm all ears!

...er... eyes? All eyes? I dunno. I'm paying attention.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Hrmm... for a later period, I think this general pattern is great, and would match the lines of your knife beautifully with the right incised decoration:

http://www.lukasmaestlegoer.com/knives- ... rhauswehr/

BUT that long handle of yours is I think going to move the balance far enough back it will want to tip and fall. Plus you've mentioned a liking for the early medieval period, so you might consider a Seax style sheath:

http://myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.29767.html

... I think they're a little out of place for the Dunedain of Middle-earth, but that's just my eye. The Professor might well disagree: the more of real Saxon culture I study, the more of it I see in Eriador, so... maybe?

Finally, Greg's seax scabbard is I think a wonderful model, and carries the a similar fashion to what you describe. (You probably want to copy his strap arrangement for stability as well)
aaannd... shoot. I can't find that thread at the moment. I'm sure searching for his posts will turn up pictures.

.. those are my two pennies worth. :)

edit - one more thing. I've seen a few people do those seax-style sheaths with the brass parts replaced with bone, wood, or iron. That both reduces light reflection, and can be an awesome look in its own right. Anyhow, food for pondering.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

If you want to cut down on shiny metal you can do away with the brass completely, these ones look quite cool:

https://www.deviantart.com/theguildedpl ... -786938649
https://www.deviantart.com/theguildedpl ... -782835162

the little copper tabs could just be leather and darken the loops/buckles with a patina, just an idea :P