Custom Ranger Sword- "Sûlcrist"

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Pixelpen

Custom Ranger Sword- "Sûlcrist"

Post by Pixelpen »

Working on the knife design and reading up on other threads (https://www.middleearthrangers.org/foru ... =28&t=4095) had me inspired to take on yet another design project in regards to the Ranger character/persona I'm (with an admitted great deal of struggle) trying to develop.

Sûrcrist, aka "Windcleaver" is a Dunedain arming sword forged in Rivendell for a ranger named Aeberen, whom passed it on to his son Aethir.

With this, I'd also like to drop a mention that I'm available to do commission designs for other weapons at reasonable prices. Drop me a DM if interested.

More to come as this design evolves...
"Give me strength, not to be better than my enemies, but to defeat my greatest enemy, the doubts within myself. Give me strength for a straight back and clear eyes, so when life fades as the setting sun, my spirit may come to you without shame."
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: Custom Ranger Sword- "Sûlcrist"

Post by Elleth »

Oh cool!

I love the name. :)

Also I love the general form: I think we're narrowing down on a nice book-friendly aesthetic, which is all kinds of cool. :mrgreen:

One thing I did run across in the research for Elenglin was that the only references to characters on blades I could find was I believe in cirth runes. (Narsil/Anduril of course: I fear I can't remember others. though admittedly that's a very special case).

Anyhow, my original design used tengwar, and the more I looked at it, the more I thought cirth worked better. We hear at Wearthertop from Aragorn that "the Rangers still use runes" (though certainly not exclusively) and it seemed to me a northern Dunedain smith might wish to emulate some of the aesthetics of the legendary Narsil. Similarly, the more pictures of real medieval sword ornamentation I saw, the more it seemed my original artwork was too impacted by the possibilities of digital artwork and CNC etching that I was accustomed to. Real handwork looked to be fairly coarse in comparison until fairly late in period. (c. 1500 +/-?)

Anyhow, none of that's not to say you should choose the same path, but those were the roadbumps I hit. If they provide valuable places to explore - great! If not, oh well. I look forward to seeing what you end up with! :mrgreen:
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Ghostsoldier
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Ghostsoldier »

Nice work; being a CAD technician myself for the last 30 years (and designing lots of weapons for fun), I can appreciate the effort.

Ron
"Nothing's forgotten."
Pixelpen

Post by Pixelpen »

TRAGEDY.

My computer froze halfway through a save and corrupted the file. I HAVE TO START OVER. I'm heartbroken.
"Give me strength, not to be better than my enemies, but to defeat my greatest enemy, the doubts within myself. Give me strength for a straight back and clear eyes, so when life fades as the setting sun, my spirit may come to you without shame."
Ghostsoldier
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Ghostsoldier »

Pixelpen wrote:TRAGEDY.

My computer froze halfway through a save and corrupted the file. I HAVE TO START OVER. I'm heartbroken.
I feel your pain; that has happened to me also, more times than I care to remember.

One nice thing about AutoCad is that it will usually save an .$V$ file in the hidden AppData folder, which although might not be every update that was made pre-crash, it typically does save a lot of extra work restoring the original.

Rob
"Nothing's forgotten."