A bit of Shire goodness

Shire-Dwellers and other Middle-earth rarities.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

A bit of Shire goodness

Post by Elleth »

Last Christmas I received this fun little book, full off goodies perfect for a Baggins pantry:

The Shire Cookbook

I finally got the chance to try one of the recipes: a pasty made as a little snack for working in the fields - or to tuck into a pocket on a nice walk around the South Farthing. That little braid you see marks an internal division: the larger half contains a meat filling. The small holds your desert: in this case apples, raisins and honey. Hobbits do know how to travel - Mr. Tungo, you're a clever one!

:lol:
merf-shire-pasties.jpg
merf-shire-pasties.jpg (29.09 KiB) Viewed 32761 times
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Re: A bit of Shire goodness

Post by Iodo »

Mmmmmm... Looks nice :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Sign me up!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

What a brilliant idea.

I was just working on my potential menu for the Dragons Wood Inn, using a couple of 'Viking" cookbooks and some Medieval cookbooks that I have.

The meat/fruit thing is a great idea. Is there a pastry 'wall' between the two?
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

The meat/fruit thing is a great idea. Is there a pastry 'wall' between the two?
There is! The instructions were something like "cut a square, pinch together a 'wall' about two-thirds up, put 1/2 c. meat filling on the big side, 1/4 c. sweet filling on the small side, tuck up the ends, and fold the sides together."
It's rather tricky, but with a bit of practice starts to work. The wall tends to be not totally solid, but I didn't notice any leakage one way or the other eating them:
merf-shire-pasty-opened.jpg
merf-shire-pasty-opened.jpg (54.22 KiB) Viewed 32693 times
I found them tasty, but would have liked a wetter filling on the meat side. Perhaps leave a bit more gravy when cooking up the meat mix, or add some cheese to that side just before baking.
Still very good!
I was just working on my potential menu for the Dragons Wood Inn, using a couple of 'Viking" cookbooks and some Medieval cookbooks that I have.
For what it's worth, the author also did a cookbook for Game of Thrones - and to be quite honest, it's a much better cookbook - even if I would far rather live in the Shire than anywhere in Westeros. *eep*
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

I've heard of the "Game of Thrones" cookbook, and mostly heard good things about it.

I have to work on my pie dough, though. When I make chicken pot pies, I usually cheat with store-bought dough.
Hávamál
Ruinar Hrafnakveðja
Dúnadan

Post by Ruinar Hrafnakveðja »

Straelbora wrote:I've heard of the "Game of Thrones" cookbook, and mostly heard good things about it.

I have to work on my pie dough, though. When I make chicken pot pies, I usually cheat with store-bought dough.
I have that cookbook! I'll have to post some recipes and my results. The Honeyed Chicken recipe is great!
I wish only for green trees, cool wine, a strong bow, and a swift arrow
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Ruinar Hrafnakveðja wrote:
Straelbora wrote:I've heard of the "Game of Thrones" cookbook, and mostly heard good things about it.

I have that cookbook! I'll have to post some recipes and my results. The Honeyed Chicken recipe is great!
Please do!
Hávamál
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Now I am not quite sure if turkey or their feathers are mentioned( perhaps in Ithilien?) and I think we have discussed it before being a New World Fowl, (Rehashed ad nausium in the SCA) but this would lend itself marvelously to Turkey (or European fowl of choice) and cranberry (or one of the myriads of berries described in the books) . I think it would be a great way to use the often overlooked dark meat of the bird that ends up as leftovers and also because it is moister than the breast meat most of the time. Another bonus to this is that it can be made into pies and pasties with bits, pieces, and smaller scraps. some bread stuffing could even be used in moderation on either side of the wall , "...with a sprinkling o' sage" on the meat side and possibly a bit of cinnamon or cardimum from Dorwinian, for an exotic twist. I know what is going in my Holiday cookbook this year! Right next to one of my favorites: Shire Apple Bacon!
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

MMMMmmm. :)

If one wanted to stick with old-world birds, one could use goose: it's not exactly unlike turkey, but it's darker yet: sort of a weird combination of turkey, beef, and organ meat.
I love it, but I grant it's an acquired taste.

I wonder what to pair it with on the sweet side? Something tart and berryish I think. While cranberries are New World I think, there's tons of odd berries that never made it into the grocery supply chain. There's got to be one that would work. :mrgreen:
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

We started a tradition when my kids were young to have goose on Christmas Day. The kids loved it because I always read them "A Christmas Carol" prior to the holiday. They all loved the: "A goose a goose!" part. of course, when you pay that much for a bird (later I would bag one a year so we did not have to) you find ways of being creative with leftovers. Not knowing what I should do with the thing I searched in the pantry for anything to make for next day pottage. I came up with carrots onions and dried lentils, along with many spices. Being a struggling student at Maine Maritime Academy and living off campus with my young family there was not a lot to go around. Since that fateful day in a little apartment in the top of a big Victorian in Bucksport, ME, it isn't Christmas until Dad makes his famous "Goose Lentil Soup"!
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Oh I love that story!

.... and now I might have to try a soup the next time we cook a goose. Neat!
Ranger Austin
Wayfarer

Post by Ranger Austin »

@Ringulf, are you a pilot? My dad is a boat driver for the local pilot's association. He thought about getting qualified to become a pilot himself, but couldn't stand to leave us for pilot school in the east and then shipping out as an able seaman.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

No, I am not, I never went for the additional training either, for those same reasons! Pilots do run in my family. My Great Grandfather was a pilot in the port of Saint John's in Newfoundland. He died in the performance of his duties. In transfering from one ship to another via breeches bouy, the two ships rolled towards each other in rough seas and the lines slacked until he was dunked like a teabag in the icey waters. He got to the vessel, climbed up and they had to cut his oilskins off him. He piloted the ship into St. John's and shortly after contracted severe pneumonia and passed within a week of the accident. I have been told that story by my Grandfather and Father since I was a little boy. Not an easy job, even now.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Elleth wrote:If one wanted to stick with old-world birds, one could use goose: it's not exactly unlike turkey, but it's darker yet: sort of a weird combination of turkey, beef, and organ meat.
I love it, but I grant it's an acquired taste.

I wonder what to pair it with on the sweet side? Something tart and berrylike I think. While cranberries are New World I think, there's tons of odd berries that never made it into the grocery supply chain. There's got to be one that would work.
So I was looking this over and thinking of some possible European substitutions. It may be worth mentioning that Pheasant is not indigenous to North America but was a European transplant brought by the Game-hunters of Europe for sport and table. So that is a bird that would be a logical substitute. I love goose but as you say much darker and would most likely make the whole thing a bit gamier. though their are many Seabirds that could be found along the coasts, Puffin is one of the only ones that I have tasted that would not transfer much of the flavor of their own diet, FISH! Ptarmigan in the Taiga of lower Forechel. And as we get up in the Northern areas we do have a very nice berry substitute in the higher altitudes, Cloudberries! Very Alpine meadow Scandinavian, a delicacy, not too tart, very juicy in season. Loganberries or Lingenberries were also available. Funny that I lnow a bit more of the Scandinavian Flora and Fauna than that of the British Isles or continental Europe! Just thinking about this again and looking forward to seasonal cooking!