Some new cooking stuff at MRL

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Some new cooking stuff at MRL

Post by Peter Remling »

Museum Replicas has some new cooking offerings hand forged of iron. Prices are reasonable so take a look:

https://www.museumreplicas.com/newproducts

Scroll down a bit: folding fry pan, utensils, cook stand and pots.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: Some new cooking stuff at MRL

Post by Elleth »

Interesting! some of the designs are pretty. :mrgreen:

... the "powdercoat finish" on some of those cauldrons and skillets make me wary though. Maybe it's no worse that what's on modern no-stick cookware, but I'd be nervous actually *cooking* in them without some kind of assurance they were actually food safe.

For what it's worth, I was just talking with the Taberna Vagantis about getting a larger cauldron from them for events:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/204851566/ ... handicraft
They only paint the outside, and were willing to leave even that off on request.
I think Jell Dragon and some other European vendors carry some nice riveted iron cookware as a stock/semi-custom item without the wait from talking to someone like Royal Oak. (WHO IS AWESOME).

Anyhow - the cost especially with shipping from Europe can be a bit more for those options, but I think the difference is comparatively cheap insurance against cooking God-knows-what into the food I'm serving people.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Elleth wrote: ... the "powdercoat finish" on some of those cauldrons and skillets make me wary though. Maybe it's no worse that what's on modern no-stick cookware, but I'd be nervous actually *cooking* in them without some kind of assurance they were actually food safe.
If you mean the "deep pan" (https://www.museumreplicas.com/hand-for ... g-deep-pan) it's described as as "Made for display", a standard powder-coat would just burn if you used it over a fire, where as this one: https://www.museumreplicas.com/hand-for ... anging-pan doesn't say it's powder-coated and seems to be intended to be used

If you wanted to use it, I guess you could just sand blast or burn off the powder-coat first, then it should be food safe
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
SierraStrider
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by SierraStrider »

Is the "Medieval folding frying pan" actually by any stretch medieval? I like the concept, but it looks...barely pre-industrial, to my eye. I've been surprised by the antiquity of certain designs before, but does anybody know if this is actually a thing?
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

To the best of my knowledge that design entered reenacting around the bicentennial - it was shown in one of the various artifact books that were popular around that time. I fear I do not recall the title. Regardless I've heard some of the more hardcore 18th c. folks say they think it likely that it's 19th century rather than RevWar era.

I have no earthly idea. On the one hand I've never seen anything remotely like it in documented cookware of the period. On the other, even now there's not a lot of well-organized documented information of that sort, and I've been shocked at the modernity of - for instance - some of the cookware unearthed in Pompeii. Some ideas go *much* farther back than we tend to think.

So I have no idea. Personally, I follow the lead of the 18th c. stitchcounters unless I can find more correct examples in the medieval space.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I do remember seeing a picture of a Roman folding frying pan. I don't have a pic so I can't say if it's similar or not.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Hunh. This?
roman-frying-pan.jpg
roman-frying-pan.jpg (16.36 KiB) Viewed 15011 times
http://www.bbc.co.uk/ahistoryoftheworld ... 7Bhdro7LIg

Attested Wales, 3rd century AD
(so pretty much right in line for the "Dunedain as Romano-British" theory)

I stand corrected. :mrgreen:
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Actually I saw a different one some years ago.
SierraStrider

Post by SierraStrider »

Well I'll be damned. Badass folding frying pan, here I come!
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

If shipping to the UK wasn't so expensive I think I'd get this to, fried breakfast followed by panning for gold :mrgreen:
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

looks like you have some UK options. :)

https://www.gdfb.co.uk/pan-with-folding ... 1274-p.asp (closer to the Roman original, it looks like)

... and I've a memory the Deepeeka or one of the other mass-market vendors does one, so I'd be surprised if you couldn't find one over there for not too much.

On this side of the pond Sierra if you're interested, Townsends also sells one that's already seasoned and has a bit more rustic / less factory look:
https://www.townsends.us/collections/po ... p248-p-103
SierraStrider

Post by SierraStrider »

Oof. Definitely a bit less chintzy, but a bit more...5x the price.
Last edited by SierraStrider on Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Cool, thanks for the link Elleth :P
theowl
Vendor

Post by theowl »

Samson historical has a folding frying pan that I've had my eye on for a while. It's a bit more rustic looking than the MR one and not much more expensive