Dunedain armour

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eric C
Vendor

Re: Dunedain armour

Post by Eric C »

Siani wrote: I suspect the Rangers, that fraction of the tribes that functioned in that capacity, were pretty well equipped on the whole. And they knew the Elves well enough. They didn't have to be 'ragged' in the sense of ill-equipped...it could simply be a comparison to what they were at their height. I never got the idea they were 'ragged' in any case..not in the sense of being reduced to savagery or primitive state.
Siani

Good point about the Elves. I was thinking about that as I read other responses. I'll need to research helms a little more before trying to produce one of them. What do you mean, "not ragged?" After all, Aragorn carried a broken sword! :P Oh, that was for identification I suppose.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Hehehe.

He certainly did..the heirloom sword...there's a mighty exception. And he looked weather stained and hard used for certain. That's a different kind of ragged and doesn't have anything to do with skills or crafts. ;)

They might have been the 'ragged' remnants of the once mighty North Kingdom of Arnor...but they weren't ragged people in the sense of being completely reduced to savagery. It doesn't really jibe with their closeness to the Elves of Imladris and like as not, Mithlondë.

In my opinion of course.

Siani
Nandalad!
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Ragged in the poetic sense 8) we are all romantics here, aren't we?

I relate to the Dunedain in two ways, as being an American of Scottish heritage, and as a Southern American. Both of those ancestries have a tradition of a lost and scattered people, a lost way of life, a nation lost to war. No matter how you might feel about that war, it is a part of our heritage.
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

Just got tandy book and flyer and I noticed the leather armor pieces they sell, I have never noticed them before. I might not be best for protection but I prefer the look.

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/efly ... /pg21.aspx
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

I think Tandy has been selling those pieces for about a year now. It hasn't been long.

Siani, I see the Dunedain as a very rich people- not monetarily necessarily, but rich in culture and tradition. I think maybe that's one thing that draws many of us to them. For me it was originally, "Aragorn is BAAAD!!!" Kind of the loner type, like I have been all my life. It's gone much deeper than that now- thankfully. Also, I'm not as much of a loner any more :) .

Ken, there's at least Irish heritage in me. On my Mom's side, we can trace a Thornton back to the Revolutionary War. He lived in the NC mountains, somewhere. Mom has the book about it. Dad always said he was French (Cartrette- go figure) and Irish (Britt). But there's certainly Celt in there. A good friend- a Robertson- swears that I have Scottish blood in me just by my attitudes, my stubbornness, the red in my beard helps too. Anyway I digress. I identify with the lost kingdom idea.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Ragged in a poetic sense I can see. :)

I agree with the very rich traditions and culture. Very much so.

I'm Welsh, Irish, Breton, and a touch of German with Chippewa flavoring.

I can trace my ancestors back to 1629, most of them right here in New England. Deep roots indeed. :) I haven't tried following them across the pond.

My first ancestor was a dish-turner...he turned bowls from wood. One was a Constable paid by the Crown to police Lynn Massachusetts. Another was in King Phillip's War, more in the French and Indian War, several of them in the War of Independence, and at least one of them a lieutenant in the 27th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry in the War Between the States. A solid heritage...yet save for that one man who was a Constable all of them were farmers, smiths, crafters or soldiers. Simple folk close to the land.

Siani
Nandalad!
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

I made my links from the same aluminum wire they use for electric fences, and much the same way that Peter mentioned, except I used a cordless drill and held it 8) Those links above are from my shirt and it's kingsmail, or double links. As you can see, some of my butted rings are not quite butted, or flat, as I got better at it, so did the quality of my rings.
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Thought you all might be interested in this thread from myarmoury.com............

http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=18637
Winter is coming
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

mcapanelli wrote:Thought you all might be interested in this thread from myarmoury.com............

http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=18637
I've had my butted for about 16 years and it cost more than that sale price and Icefalcon's sleeves are several inches longer too. It's a nice price for anyone in the market.