the "Loch Glashan" - Iron Age leather satchel / haversack

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

the "Loch Glashan" - Iron Age leather satchel / haversack

Post by Elleth »

I don't think I've heard of this one - interesting!
creativespirit-satchels12-490px.jpg
creativespirit-satchels12-490px.jpg (169.28 KiB) Viewed 17681 times
We recreated a leather satchel based on the rare but fortunate survival of leather fragments from a water-logged site at Loch Glashan in Argyll, dating from the 6th or 7th centuries AD.
Maker: Ian Dunlop of SodaKitsch.
https://www.nms.ac.uk/collections-resea ... -satchels/

Reconstructed from this find, dated by the Scottish National Museums to AD 6th-7th centuries.
leather-satchel-national-museum.jpg
leather-satchel-national-museum.jpg (22.46 KiB) Viewed 17681 times
And now I see a number of reproductions out there, some quite good.
Most vendors seem to be calling it a "crannog bag" due to the find location.
etsy-crannog-bag.jpg
etsy-crannog-bag.jpg (103.56 KiB) Viewed 17681 times

I don't think I want one exactly like it - at least not for Middle-earth purposes - but it's still exciting to see the reference!
I wasn't certain about documented side gusset panels in leather bags so early - looks like it's just fine! :mrgreen:
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: the "Loch Glashan" - Iron Age leather satchel / haversack

Post by Greg »

More often than not, I think we find bags like this being made with a front and back panel, and with a single gusset that goes all the way from one side to the other. I think I like the shape of this one more. Neat!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Isn't it cool?

It's the way the top panel is stitched down that I find interesting - it really reminds me of nicer 18th-19th century shot pouches.
I assume that stitching induces a bit of a bias to keep the flap closed - much more so that it would have just flopping over at any rate. Makes me wonder if that was the intention, or if it just falls out of something else they were doing?

By any chance do you know of an extant bag with the wrap-around gusset? I've been working up to another belt pouch, but don't quite know where it's going to go yet.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Elleth wrote:By any chance do you know of an extant bag with the wrap-around gusset?

...my hawking bag?

Historically speaking...no.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Ah! Of course. :)

I was referring to historical examples however.
(edit - DERP! Just saw the funny text. oops! :mrgreen: )

I've been looking at this page and seen lots of interesting things -

https://europa.org.au/index.php/articles/21-bags

As well as larsdatter, of course.

I don't offhand recall seeing definitive evidence of the wrap-around gusset construction yet, though it seems both the Birka pouch and the Sutton Hoo pouch lid imply it I think.
At least the reconstructions I've seen use that method, but I believe they're only best-guess interpretations based on incomplete survivals.

There was a particular belt pouch reconstruction I quite liked the shape/construction of I ran across a few weeks ago -
viking-garb-350x219.jpg
viking-garb-350x219.jpg (23.58 KiB) Viewed 17619 times
... from
https://blog.leathersmithdesigns.com/vi ... x-meadows/
The Viking outfit worn by this fellow has an interesting closure on his leather belt pouch. It looks like a bone, wooden pet or antler tip with a leather lace loop that secures over it to keep the flap closed.
I think I'd shorten the belt loops a bit, and I'm still not sure about the closure - but I like the way that U-welt swells in the center to make the "bowl" of the pouch wider than the mouth.

(not arguing at all for this in a Dunedain context however: more just general historical costuming geekery for the moment. :mrgreen: )
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Excellent discovery! I'd not heard of this example before, either, but I like the look.

To me, the bag in the third picture with the flannel'd wearer fairly screams 'iron age'--due not only to the background but especially to their use of a period-appropriate tanning method...it looks to be made of barktan (or possibly heavy braintan) that has seen some use (different areas have different wear patterns and grime, suggesting a history of carry) - this looks like an authentic artifact, not a costume 'replica'. Just some brainfood to chew on!
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

To me, the bag in the third picture with the flannel'd wearer fairly screams 'iron age'--due not only to the background but especially to their use of a period-appropriate tanning method
Absolutely!

I'm also thinking that wide lacing isn't just from lacking proper needles and thread. Especially in something like deerskin, I bet it added quite a bit of stiffness and body to the finished bag.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Udwin, very true. The bag looks legit. I can't believe the insane price being asked for it on etsy, though. Yikes.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Given the cost of the more conventional rendition of the bag by the same seller, I'm willing to bet almost all of the price difference is in the cost of the hide -
"special Scottish red deerskin, historically acorn tanned by hand at the woodland tannery in Fife."

http://woodlandtannery.co.uk/?page_id=68

I want to say that means there might be a grand opportunity for Udwin in selling such hides - but I suspect there's more than enough work in making them to make it a pauper's gig.

Gosh it's beautiful work though.
theowl
Vendor

Post by theowl »

I got to check out some of the acorn tanned deer that the half goat/pictavia guy uses in scotland a few years ago and honestly I don't think he's charging enough.